sr communications associate – incident & government affairs
Target is an iconic brand, a Fortune 50 company and one of America’s leading retailers.
A role with Target Communications means a chance to continuously improve the quality, relevance, creativity and authenticity of both internal and external storytelling. Bring your skills as a bold and forward-thinking professional communicator who thrives on building confidence, driving brand love and creating value. Here, you’ll shine as a relationship-focused pro who’s strategically minded, an expert executor and an articulate brand ambassador. Rise to the challenge of driving results with smart risk-taking, constant innovation and perpetual teaching and learning. Comprised of Public Relations, Crisis Management and Internal Enterprise Communications, this team strengthens and protects Target’s reputation and helps drive traffic, sales and guest loyalty. You’ll develop deep relationships with business partners to ensure critical information flows through multiple channels, building confidence with team members and external stakeholders and strengthening Target’s position within the competitive retail marketplace.
As a Communications Senior Associate at Target, you will have the opportunity to protect Target’s reputation and influence our public policy narrative in support of our business priorities. You also will help build strategic executive support plans. You will work with internal partners from across the enterprise to identify risk and support the development of holistic communications plans and messaging, while engaging with media to share Target’s position. You’ll also partner closely with our government affairs team to shape our public policy and issues advocacy narrative. The ideal person for this role has a background in public affairs or political campaigns, supporting candidates for public office, with experience developing holistic communications strategies and media relations.
Core responsibilities of this job are described within this job description. Job duties may change at any time due to business needs.
- Support an integrated communications model, providing internal and external communications planning and strategic program recommendations for crisis and issues planning
- Keep a strong pulse on industry news and media landscape, sharing timely updates with business partners and colleagues
- Manage proactive and reactive media relations for issues and government affairs
- Support for executive positioning and communications strategy
- Collaborate with Target’s broader communications team, agency partners and internal leaders to communicate in a holistic way across all channels
- Measure and evaluate effectiveness of communication
- Handle highly sensitive business information with the utmost confidentiality
This team member will support the Crisis and Critical issues team, directly engaging with several cross-functional teams, including the Risk & Reputation working team, Government Affairs and Target’s Chief External Engagement Officer. They are responsible for working in close partnership with Target’s PR agencies on research, benchmarking, communications planning, message development, monitoring and reporting.
- 5-7 years of related experience
- Expertise in integrated communications strategy and planning
- Strong writing for various forms (i.e., email, media materials, talking points)
- Strong media relations skills
- A storytelling mindset with business acumen
- Executive presence and the ability to coach/counsel senior leaders
- Ability to collaborate with peers and influence without authority
- Ability to balance multiple competing priorities on a daily basis and be nimble in the face of change
- Experience working in a corporate communications or agency setting
Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
Target will provide reasonable accommodations (such as a qualified sign language interpreter or other personal assistance) with the application process upon your request as required to comply with applicable laws. If you have a disability and require assistance in this application process, please visit your nearest Target store or Distribution Center or reach out to Guest Services at 1-800-440-0680 for additional information.
Job posted: 2021-04-06