Sr. Communications Leader – External Communications
About The Opportunity
Hey! We’re Grubhub
We’re all about connecting hungry diners with our network of over 300,000 restaurants nationwide. Innovative technology, user-friendly platforms and streamlined delivery capabilities set us apart and make us an industry leader in the world of online food ordering. When you join our team, you become part of a community that works together to innovate, solve problems, grow, work hard and have a ton of fun in the process!
Why Work For Us
Grubhub is a place where authentically fun culture meets innovation and teamwork. We believe in empowering people and opening doors for new opportunities. If you’re looking for a place that values strong relationships, embraces diverse ideas–all while having fun together–Grubhub is the place for you!
The Grubhub Corporate Affairs team is a growing, dynamic team of change makers. The team is integrated across four practices: Brand, Communications, Government Relations & Policy, and Sustainability & Impact. This position will be a part of the Communications function.
The Impact You Will Make
We’re looking for a Sr. Comms Leader to join the company’s Communications team. This individual will manage the external communications strategy & execution for Grubhub. The primary responsibilities include the development of plans and strategies to manage the reputation of Grubhub and the execution of plans in partnership with internal stakeholders and external agency teams.
The ideal candidate is a proven senior communications leader and has strong business acumen and can thoughtfully consider the impact of business decisions on Grubhub’s reputation and develop recommendations, plans and messaging accordingly. This person also works closely with the internal communications team, marketing, government relations, sustainability & impact, and legal teams to advance the corporate narrative, differentiate Grubhub in the industry, and ensure consistency in messaging across Grubhub’s lines of business. The communications leader has an innate capability to influence, regardless of hierarchy or reporting lines. Strong writing and storytelling skills are a must, as well as the ability to lead in a fast-paced environment and quick-moving and rapidly changing news cycles.
The Impact You Will Make:
- Develop a comprehensive external communication strategy that elevates critical initiatives, drives clarity and action, and further strengthens Grubhub’s mission
- Work with the internal and corporate communications team, helping to optimize and implement media relations programs demonstrating Grubhub’s value proposition through national and local reporters, financial media, trade outlets, crisis situations, and corporate social responsibility
- Identify and establish relationships with third-party influencers that can contribute to and amplify our content
- Support planning and execution of activities to foster greater understanding of Grubhub’s business strategy, position in the industry and corporate narrative, while focusing on mitigating risk and enhancing Grubhub’s reputation both internally and externally
- Maintain an ongoing engagement strategy around Corporate Affairs’ goals and objectives for internal and external audiences
- Develop and execute on a thought leadership communications strategy to ensure clear and consistent messaging across Grubhub during specific announcements and on an ongoing basis
- Manage crisis, financial, legal and government affairs communications informed by an understanding of the tech, ecommerce and gig economy spaces
- Collaborate cross-functionally to build compelling story angles that will resonate and seek out communications opportunities on owned and earned external channels, overseeing the identification, vetting and staffing of media and speaking opportunities
- Support the Chief Corporate Affairs Officer and other executives in serving as spokespeople for the company and act as a company spokesperson, when appropriate
What You Bring to the Table
- 10+ years of in-house and/or agency experience in communications, preferably with experience at a high-growth, tech company and knowledge of public company operating procedures
- At least 3+ years of people management experience
- Bachelor’s degree required in related field; higher degree a plus, not must have
- A proven track record in developing and leading external communications programs, with the results to show for it
- An ability to employ strategic thinking across key initiatives and take strategic action, sometimes at a moment’s notice
- An amazing contact list of national and local business and financial media, including broadcast outlets
- Experience developing comprehensive communications plans that articulate clear objectives, key messages, timelines, and success metrics
- Superior writing skills for both internal and external audiences with high attention to detail
- A natural storytelling disposition, and the ability to create narratives out of anything
- Experience in, and a keen eye for, leveraging data to tell stories and drive insights
- A growth mindset with the willingness to learn and contribute
- Ability to work collaboratively within a team environment and to build successful working relationships with cross-functional leaders
- Executive presence and team leadership; expected to have strong business acumen and project management skills, as well as effective engagement with stakeholders across the organization
- Experience working with external partners, media outlets, and agencies
And Of Course, Perks!
- Flexible PTO. Grubhub employees enjoy a generous amount of time to recharge.
- Health and Wellness. Excellent medical benefits, employee network groups and paid parental leave are just a few of our programs to support your overall well-being.
- Competitive Pay. You’ll receive a competitive base salary with eligibility for generous incentives, bonuses, commission or RSUs (role-specific).
- Learning and Career Growth. Your personal and professional development is a priority at Grubhub. We empower you to be a leader and grow your career through training, coaching and mentorship opportunities.
- MealPerks. Get meals on us! Our employees get a weekly Grubhub credit to enjoy and support local restaurants.
- Fun. Every Grubhub office has an employee-led Culture Crew that connects people through fun, meaningful events and initiatives like Wellness Wednesdays, Slack competitions and virtual happy hours!
- Social Impact. At Grubhub we believe in giving back through programs like the Grubhub Community Relief Fund and donating $1 million to the Equal Justice Initiative in 2020. Employees are also given paid time off each year to support the causes that are important to them.
- COVID-19 Response. All of our employees are currently working from home and will be for the foreseeable future. We look forward to seeing everyone in-office when it’s safe to return.
Grubhub is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome diversity and encourage a workplace that is just as diverse as the customers we serve. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other legally protected characteristics. If you’re applying for a job in the U.S. and need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please send an email to TalentAcquisition@grubhub.com and let us know the nature of your request and contact information. Please note that only those inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.
CA Privacy Notice: If you are a resident of the State of California and would like a copy of our CA privacy notice, please email email@example.com.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-04-26