Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Sr Dir, Head of NA Government Relations
At PayPal (NASDAQ: PYPL), we believe that every person has the right to participate fully in the global economy. Our mission is to democratize financial services to ensure that everyone, regardless of background or economic standing, has access to affordable, convenient, and secure products and services to take control of their financial lives.
Job Description Summary:
Reporting directly to the Vice President and Head of Global Government Relations, and working very closely with senior leaders across the company in the US and Canada, PayPal seeks a Head of North America Government Relations to lead its government relations teams and work in Washington, D.C., across the U.S. states, and Canada. The Senior Director will also be part of PayPal’s Global Government Relations senior leadership team, alongside similar roles with responsibility for Europe, Middle-East and Africa, and the Asia-Pacific region.
The Head of North America Government Relations will develop, manage and execute PayPal’s advocacy and thought leadership strategy across the region. As a leading financial technology services provider across these jurisdictions, PayPal expects its government relations leaders to engage with key stakeholders from governments, legislatures, and regulators to represent the company’s position effectively and enable PayPal’s business leaders to better understand the near- and longer-term opportunities and risks that public policy, legislative and regulatory initiatives may provide. The Head of North America Government Relations will lead these advocacy efforts and strong internal collaboration with company executives and teams including Regulatory Relations, Compliance, Legal and Corporate Affairs.
Direct Reporting Line: Vice President & Head of Global Government Relations, based in Washington, D.C.
- Present and project the U.S. and Canadian political and regulatory landscape internally to PayPal’s senior management and business and function leaders and their teams.
- Inspire and mentor the U.S. and Canada GR team to further develop their strengths and positively impact PayPal’s growth.
- Membership of the Head of Global Government Relations’ management team, which currently consists of the Heads of EMEA, North America and APAC Government Relations teams, along with a Head of International Public Policy.
- Implement an annual policy-related GR strategy for key GR issues; assess the competitive environment, local, regional and global perspectives in order to protect and build corporate reputation for long term regulatory and advocacy objectives.
- Monitor, interpret and influence the policy environment; political, regulatory, and economic analyses which may impact PayPal’s businesses. Ensure relevant communication is disseminated to all internal and external parties quickly, thoroughly and appropriately.
- Draft and contribute to public policy and thought leadership papers and other relevant content for distribution and publication.
- Proactively present concise and business-relevant GR intelligence on pertinent regulatory and governmental issues.
- Drive development, positioning and execution of PayPal senior management outreach and key stakeholder engagement to relevant policymakers, ensuring external relations are anticipatory, on-going and aligned.
- Engage GR outreach and relationship management with relevant supervisory and legal authorities in close cooperation with other support functions (Regulatory Relations, Legal, Compliance, Communications, Risk, Global Core Payments).
- Contribute to Strategy and Corporate Development projects related to possible new or expanded PayPal services in the U.S. and Canada.
- Ensure awareness of key regional constituencies, including Governmental and Non- Governmental Organizations and opinion leaders who may have a positive or negative impact on the business.
- Oversee external consultants and industry associations in collaboration with internal stakeholders and functional colleagues.
- Manage a team budget GR, administration and personnel.
- Minimum 15 years work experience within a relevant industry: Payments, Global Financial Services, Consumer/Retail Banks, eCommerce, Information Technology.
- Strong understanding and experience in public policy, with know-how and experience in the area of financial services, payments, ecommerce and technology.
- A proven understanding of how Government Relations positively impacts revenue.
- An appreciation for technology; its applications and uses, in order to gain greater insight of regulatory requirements.
- Deep knowledge of U.S. and Canadian legislative and regulatory processes is highly desirable.
- Previous successful formulation of a relevant Government Relations strategy is of strong interest.
- Successful team management, along with regional leadership responsibility for setting business or product strategy.
- Work experience with a matrix-styled organization, understanding how to successfully navigate through the organization in order to partner internally.
- Excellent written, verbal, communicative and influencing skills.
Character and Competencies:
- Exemplary understanding of how to develop strong, candid and advantageous relationships within the company in order to leverage resources in order to effect legislative and policy changes.
- A high level of corporate professionalism, maturity and political agility; analyze, negotiate, and influence appropriately.
- Able to work flexibly under pressure and balance multiple and competing tasks, energetic drive, able to take ownership of the process and outcome.
- Brings out the best in others to perform beyond the norm.
- Remain resilient through adversity and can achieve results despite challenging situations.
- Consistently exercise sound judgment under stringent deadlines, possess significant degree of self-motivation and resourcefulness.
- Execute decisively when necessary, comfortable with the ambiguity of the regulatory and legislative process.
- Sound management and judgement skills, resourceful, confident, able to listen and work collaboratively.
- An uncompromising level of ethical commitment and integrity.
- A high level of self-awareness, seeks feedback and acts on it, as well as a good sense of humor.
At PayPal, we’re committed to building an equitable and inclusive global economy. And we can’t do this without our most important asset—you. That’s why we offer benefits to help you thrive in every stage of life. We champion your financial, physical, and mental health by offering valuable benefits and resources to help you care for the whole you.
We have great benefits including a flexible work environment, employee shares options, health and life insurance and more. To learn more about our benefits please visit https://www.paypalbenefits.com
Who We Are:
Click Here to learn more about our culture and community.
PayPal has remained at the forefront of the digital payment revolution for more than 20 years. By leveraging technology to make financial services and commerce more convenient, affordable, and secure, the PayPal platform is empowering more than 400 million consumers and merchants in more than 200 markets to join and thrive in the global economy. For more information, visit paypal.com.
PayPal provides equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. In addition, PayPal will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities. If you are unable to submit an application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
As part of PayPal’s commitment to employees’ health and safety, we have established in-office Covid-19 protocols and requirements, based on expert guidance. Depending on location, this might include a Covid-19 vaccination requirement for any employee whose role requires them to work onsite. Employees may request reasonable accommodation based on a medical condition or religious belief that prevents them from being vaccinated.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2022-11-06