Sr Dir, State Gov’t Relations
If you’re passionate about being part of a diverse organization that enables a Fortune 100 company to deliver innovative business solutions with excellence, then Nationwide’s Legal team could be the place for you!
Job Description Summary
Leads Government Relations on behalf of Nationwide in a territory spanning a number of states, including direct advocacy and lobbying efforts on all legislative and regulatory matters involving state legislatures, state governors, and including insurance and other state agencies.Job Description
- Primarily responsible for organizing and providing input to state legislative and regulatory officials for the purpose of impacting governmental decisions. Maintains effective channels of communication with key government authorities and industry organizations that impact the course of legislation; provides legislators and regulators with rationale (including data and statistics) supporting the position of Nationwide Enterprise operations. Attends legislative committee meetings; presents testimony on company position; arranges for technical staff testimony before legislatures. Is the primary lobbying contact in their territory.
- Monitors significant insurance legislation through personal contact with legislators, legislative reports, and industry trade publications. Identifies priority issues requiring legislative input by Nationwide. Projects prospects for passage or defeat of legislation. Obtains important bills and refers to impacted offices for information, and to gather analysis, and recommendations. Oversees and manages external lobbyist team for their respective states where such external lobbyist team is retained. Provides input and evaluation of external lobbyist team and assists with input on whether to retain external lobbyist firms on an annual basis.
- Provides strong, creative and strategic regulatory and public policy leadership through the representation and advocacy of Nationwide companies’ positions; oversees development and prioritization of policy advocacy in support of company positions.
- Informs senior management and regional management of significant legislative and regulatory activity at the state level that impacts Nationwide. Provides background information, as necessary, regarding issues; obtains direct input from impacted business units; and prepares appropriate arguments in support of or opposition to such legislation and regulation.
- Sits on advisory committees and task forces, through trade associations and other organizations that address important policy issues impacting insurance.
- Establishes and enhances relationships with state insurance regulators and facilitates meetings between Nationwide and insurance regulators on sensitive company matters as needed and requested.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Education/Certification/Licenses: Intimate knowledge of the political process, the legislative system and operations of regulatory agencies. Knowledge of Nationwide Enterprise operations or of the insurance business generally; knowledge of social/legal environment impacting Nationwide operations or the insurance industry. Knows key elected and appointed officials. Juris Doctor a plus, but not required.
Experience/Skills: Ten years’ experience related to legislation and regulation, whether from a business or governmental viewpoint, five of these involving insurance. Must adhere to the highest standards of personal ethics and integrity. Excellent oral and written skills. Ability to inspire trust and confidence from politicians and other related persons. Strong organizational and leadership skills.
Other criteria, including leadership skills, competencies and experiences may take precedence.
Overtime Eligibility: Not Eligible (Exempt)
Working Conditions: Normal office environment. Some travel may be required.
ADA: The above statements cover what are generally believed to be principal and essential functions of this job. Specific circumstances may allow or require some people assigned to the job to perform a somewhat different combination of duties.
Job posted: 2020-10-02