Sr. Director, Advocacy – (AIAGAO01-2021)
Substantial knowledge of the American political system and grassroots/member engagement strategies and tools. Demonstrated experience in leading change through vision and innovation, driving results, anticipating challenges, and identifying solutions, building a departmental culture of collaborative teamwork, exhibiting strong leadership/mentorship skills, employing analytical thinking, and effectively using diplomacy to work with a diverse membership and volunteer leaders.
Experienced advocacy trainer with knowledge of advocacy training design.
Demonstrated skill in designing and implementing cross-team strategies. Advanced communication skills (written and verbal). Demonstrated experience in working closely with high-profile organization members and political leaders. Ability to successfully lead multiple priorities and responsibilities.
Bachelor’s Degree in Public Affairs, Communications, Political Science, or related degree and/or minimum 10 years of political, public affairs, grassroots, and/or government relations experience in executive, legislative, corporate, non-profit, and/or private sector. Professional association related experience preferred.
Director State and Local Policy
Senior Manager, Advocacy Outreach
Senior Manager, Building Codes Policy
An Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
# of Hires Needed
This is a senior professional managerial position on the Advocacy and Relationships Team, reporting to the Managing Director, Government Advocacy & Operations. This role is responsible for developing and implementing a long-range strategy for increasing AIA member engagement in federal, state, and local legislative and codes and standards advocacy activities, including AIA’s grassroots outreach program, advocacy training, coordinating with components to develop joint campaigns, and promotion of codes adoption at the state and local level.
- Oversee the development and implementation of strategies to increase AIA members’ involvement in legislative and code advocacy at all levels of government.
- Lead advocacy and state and local and codes and standards team staff, including staff management, project assignments, strategic plan progress, time allocation, and performance reviews.
- Oversee, develop and manage advocacy and state and local and codes and advocacy team budget, strategic plan, programs, and products.
- Develop and implement strategies and manage programs to increase AIA members’ engagement at continually increasing levels.
- Work closely with the Senior Director of Advocacy Capacity Development to develop joint campaigns with state and local components and integrate capacity building and training programs.
- Work closely with the Director, Federal Relations, to ensure member engagement in advancing AIA’s federal legislative agenda.
- Work closely with the Director, Public Affairs, to ensure member engagement in ArchiPAC and other political activities.
- Directs communications and member engagement activities with public and AIA components and groups related to codes and standards and state, local, and federal to keep members informed and engaged in AIA’s advocacy activities.
- Responsible for directing the development and implementation of annual programming, data capture, and management of all AIA member engagement in AIA codes and standards related activities, and liaises with other relevant AIA member groups related to policy, codes and standards, and building science.
- Lead staff in the management of the AIA Codes and Standards Committee and AIA member and component groups.
- Directs the development of marketing plans, communications, and program delivery systems; works with the AIA Brand & Strategic Marketing department to integrate the AIA brand throughout all advocacy-related activities and promotes media coverage at all levels of engagement.
- Frequently works with and responds to volunteer leaders and members (task forces, advisory groups, and working groups).
- Collaborates with other AIA teams and constituencies.
- Other duties as assigned.
AIA National Leadership and staff
AIA Government Advocacy Committee
AIA Committee on Codes and Standards
ArchiPAC Steering Committee
State and local AIA component directors and staff
Consultants and vendors
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-07-06