Sr. Director, Communications – PBM Reputation & Issues Management
CVS Health, one of the top companies in the United States, and CVS Caremark, a business unit of CVS Health, is seeking a Senior Director of Communications to help build and protect the reputation of the PBM industry and CVS Caremark given well-funded and organized anti-PBM efforts and provide ongoing issues management counsel and support. This is a critical leadership position responsible for the development, execution and continuous measurement of a proactive communications strategy to address anti-PBM efforts and continued misunderstanding of PBM business model and business practices. These coordinated and well-funded efforts have eroded the reputation of the PBM industry and potentially our freedom to operate to serve our clients and members in lowering their drug costs. Working largely autonomously and in strategic partnership with VP of PBM Communications, the ideal candidate will successfully identify issues prospectively and create and adjust media strategy efforts (earned and paid) to allow us to engage and put best foot forward for CVS Health in defense of PBM business.
Your ability to partner with senior executives and colleagues across the CVS Health enterprise (particularly Government Affairs) and CVS Caremark business unit to ensure alignment of strategies is critical to success in this position. You will utilize your experience with critical thinking across multiple disciplines (including knowledge of federal and state legislation impacting PBM) to provide guidance and ensure strong execution of plans with in-house talent as well as PR agency of record.
You will have one direct report (with partial FTE support to area for which you’re responsible) and be a senior leader on the PBM Communications organization, contributing to the efficient and professional operation of the overall team, helping to set the standard of performance and foster talent development.
This position can be work-at-home initially (and possibly longer-term) and/or based in Washington, DC or Woonsocket, RI (headquarters). Other locations will be considered for exemplary talent.
• Serve as the trusted, strategic communications partner to VP of PBM Communications, broader PBM Communications team, key CVS Caremark leaders/account leads (particularly for state government contracts), Government Affairs and Media Relations, serving as the PBM Communications team’s subject matter expert on key issues (largely historical) about the PBM industry and/or CVS Caremark in particular.
• Work autonomously to own, drive and pivot strategic communications plans to address reputational challenges for CVS Caremark, both expected and not.
• Successfully put forward communications recommendations, as well as strongly advocate for communications assets needed to fully realize strategy (consistently bold posture, availability of key data for public disclosure, client approval for data-sharing or storytelling, CVS Health spokespeople engagement)
• Serve as lead person for PBM Communications Team to the integrated “state advocacy campaign” working closely with Government Affairs, key CVS Caremark business leaders and Media Relations.
• Working in partnership with Government Affairs, continue to leverage and learn from complementary efforts from trade association, PCMA, and other third parties who share our PBM narrative.
• Be able to stay focused in ever-changing state and federal landscape for PBM and adjust to new and changing needs
• Proactively pull in insights from broader company communications department (Enterprise Communications) and directly from PBM Communications team members that may benefit and/or amplify PBM reputation communications strategy
• Manage PR agency in support of PBM reputation efforts by establishing scope of work, budget and routine review of metrics to ensure strategy evolves as needed to deliver results
• Develop communication strategies using cross-industry best practices, innovative ideas and audience insight; ensure communications are error-free, accurate and appropriately approved.
• Ability to meet deadlines and maintain confidentiality. Strong performance accountability orientation, both in terms of following through on commitments and deadlines
• Strategic and analytical thinker, with superior problem-solving skills and the ability to support tactical execution without losing site of the overall strategy
• Solid quantitative skills, coupled with broad business acumen
• Excellent time management, planning and organizational skills. Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment and manage multiple priorities
• Strong influencing and collaboration skills with demonstrated ability to work effectively with internal and external parties
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including sharing ideas and information across diverse audiences and creating compelling presentations
• High degree of professionalism and executive presence required to interface with executives on a regular basis and partner with business owners
• An interest and ability to effectively deliver in a high-pressure, fast-paced environment
• Willingness to travel, as needed, and in support of business needs
• 15+ years of experience in increasingly responsible communications leadership roles, including experience with internal and external communications.
• Experience in healthcare, insurance and/or consulting is required.
PBM industry experience and healthcare Public Affairs (federal and state legislation) is preferred.
At CVS Health, we are joined in a common purpose: helping people on their path to better health. We are working to transform health care through innovations that make quality care more accessible, easier to use, less expensive and patient-focused. Working together and organizing around the individual, we are pioneering a new approach to total health that puts people at the heart.
We strive to promote and sustain a culture of diversity, inclusion and belonging every day. CVS Health is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. We do not discriminate in recruiting, hiring or promotion based on race, ethnicity, sex/gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability or protected veteran status or on any other basis or characteristic prohibited by applicable federal, state, or local law. We proudly support and encourage people with military experience (active, veterans, reservists and National Guard) as well as military spouses to apply for CVS Health job opportunities.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-11-19