Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Sr. Director, Employee and Community Engagement – Corporate Relations
Join Our Team:
Genentech Corporate Relations supports and grows the company’s brand and reputation in our communities, among patients, healthcare providers, payors and other key audiences as well as among our employees and future employees. We communicate and further the company’s commitment to science, patients, people and to society.
Citizenship and Engagement, within Corporate Relations, retains and attracts employees through inclusive, creative engagement activities and benefits our communities through groundbreaking grants and programs. We strengthen Genentech’s unique culture, bringing our Employee Promise to life to inspire our employees, build trust in our leaders and activate communities of Officers and managers. We strive to address systemic sources of inequity through innovative giving and social impact programs that tap into Genentech’s unique resources – delivering more equitable care for all patients, unlocking Genentech’s ability to fully deliver on our purpose and enhancing our employees’ ability to contribute and to feel pride in this mission and sense of belonging in our culture.
The Sr. Director, Employee and Community Engagement oversees a team that both fosters and delivers upon Genentech’s Employee Promise — internally and externally – through enterprise-level strategy and vision. This individual guides the execution of communications, programs, activities and events that connect employees to one another, to Genentech’s Brand and purpose, and that push towards our objective of Transforming Society.
The campaigns, initiatives and activities of this team are critical attributes of our vibrant culture, and align with key business priorities including Attraction, Retention & Belonging, Future of Working, License to Operate (e.g. Master Plan and local regulations) The Genentech Brand, Transforming Society and creating a more Diverse and Inclusive Workforce.
This role, which reports to the Executive Director of Citizenship and Engagement within the Corporate Relations function, leads a creative, collaborative team with expertise in communications, event planning, employee volunteerism and engagement and community partnerships. Leveraging internal expertise and external best practices, this role will deliver innovation in support of the internal communications strategy.
This role will engage with employees at all levels of the company, including internal business partners and stakeholders in the Officer and C-Suite communities. It’s an intense, fast-paced and influential role within a fun, experienced and high-energy team.
The Sr. Director, Employee and Community Engagement, is a key leadership position on the Internal Communications team responsible for setting strategy and directing the development and implementation of Genentech-wide, brand-aligned employee communications, campaigns, special experiences and events. These efforts are designed to deliver our Employee Promise, enhance our culture, and help employees understand and embrace initiatives and programs with the ultimate aim of positively influencing retention and attraction.
- Creating and leading the execution of an employee engagement and culture strategy in conjunction with the IC leadership team that anticipates both emerging opportunities and threats to the business including the changing nature of work (e.g., agile teams, news ways of working), the changing locations of our employees (WFH, deskless, non-wired), evolving employee needs/wants (customization of content, varied delivery), and an increasingly competitive landscape for recruitment and retention.
- Ensuring that Genentech remains differentiated from our competitors by designing communications and experiences to support our Employee Promise and brand. This includes but is not limited to creating new ways to bring our Employee Promise to life for employees and activation of the brand at our U.S. locations and among field-based employees.
- Directing their team in the development of effective communications strategies and multi-channel, creative tactics to support employees’ engagement with enterprise-wide initiatives, programs and news, including those in support of our HR strategy.
- Providing senior communications counsel to leaders & teams across the organization, along with the IC Director and their team.
- Envisioning and overseeing the development of experiences and events that positively engage Genentech’s 13,500 employees. Ensuring continued innovation, inclusivity, creativity and strategic agility so that our programs remain fresh and compelling, and accessible, to all employees. Scope includes but is not limited to monthly themed camaraderie events, our annual week of giving activities, patient speakers, product approval celebrations, all-employee town halls, Officers’ meetings, and people managers forums, as well as envisioning and establishing new experiences and traditions for our employees.
- Prioritizing and assigning communications projects (both one-offs and campaigns), experiences and events among their team to focus on the most important and meaningful projects, and leverage individual strengths, promote flexibility, grow and expand skills, and help each team member build meaningful relationships across the business.
- Building relationships (or ensuring relationships among their team) with key communications colleagues (e.g., other IC team members, internal communicators network), and partners/stakeholders (e.g., leaders, Security, campus teams, etc.) to align efforts and improve employee experiences, reduce silos and deliver communications in the best interests of employees.
- Developing and implementing KPIs to measure the effectiveness of communications and events, and achieve maximum impact.
- Cultivating a mindset of experimentation, agility and smart risk taking across the team to drive innovation and creativity.
- Coaching and developing a high-functioning, five-person team.
- Staying current with trends in engagement and company culture, as well as external trends in the general culture and population.
- Be accountable for internal budget.
- Bachelor’s degree required
- 15+ years of experience in roles where you have:
- Assessed the needs of an organization and set a broad communications strategy
- Coached teams and individual team members in supporting and executing communications strategies, plans, programs and events
- Led cross-functional initiatives and teams in large corporate settings
- Demonstrated experience in employee engagement, change communications and event management
To be successful the Sr. Director, Employee and Community Engagement will have:
- A clear impact/results orientation and ability to set dynamic, compelling goals, ensure clear accountabilities and align the organization to deliver on commitments
- A passion for company culture and creating a unique and differentiated employee experience
- Demonstrated change management communications expertise
- A track record of excelling at designing and staffing communications teams, and developing high-performing individuals and teams
- Demonstrated expertise developing employee engagement communications plans and campaigns, including knowing how to use creative design effectively to enhance engagement in corporate programs and innovative communications technology platforms to deliver compelling communications content
- Outstanding communication and presentation skills, both written and verbal. Includes fluent English, strong story-telling and editorial skills. Highly effective at distilling complex and sometimes voluminous content into clear, concise and engaging communications
- Strong executive presence and track record of cultivating strong and trusting relationships with cross-functional partners and executive leaders
- Demonstrated strategic agility including having in-depth knowledge of the healthcare industry and communications best practices, and the ability to bring that knowledge to bear when advising
- Ability to quickly assimilate business needs and effectively advise and influence senior executives & internal stakeholders and partners on the most strategic, complex matters
- Prioritization skills to manage a complex workload while maintaining attention to detail
- Strong customer-orientation and proven track record of collaborative work relationships
- Proven experience driving cross-functional activities to their successful conclusion
- Budget management expertise,
- Working outside of regular business hours is sometimes required in this role (e.g. mornings, evenings, weekends).
Who we are
A member of the Roche Group, Genentech has been at the forefront of the biotechnology industry for more than 40 years, using human genetic information to develop novel medicines for serious and life-threatening diseases. Genentech has multiple therapies on the market for cancer & other serious illnesses. Please take this opportunity to learn about Genentech where we believe that our employees are our most important asset & are dedicated to remaining a great place to work.
Unless entitled to a reasonable accommodation under applicable law, employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 in accordance with customer requirements, the company’s health and safety obligations and/or applicable law or guidelines.
Diversity and Inclusion (D&I) are critical to the success of our company and our impact on society. We believe that by championing diversity of background, thought and experience, we can foster a sense of belonging and provide an environment where every employee feels valued, included, and able to contribute their best for the patients we serve. We’re focused on attracting, retaining, developing and advancing our people to their full potential by rewarding bold ways of thinking and integrating inclusive behaviors into every aspect of our work.
Genentech is an equal opportunity employer, and we embrace the increasingly diverse world around us. Genentech prohibits unlawful discrimination based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin or ancestry, age, disability, marital status and veteran status. For more information about equal employment opportunity, visit our Genentech Careers Homepage.
Manager with direct reports
Job posted: 2022-05-01