Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Sr. Director of Federal Relations
The Senior Director of Federal Relations has overall responsibility for development and execution of an effective TPL federal policy agenda as well as oversight and management of the Federal Relations department. The individual in this position will possess the experience and skills enabling them to advocate successfully with Congress and the Executive Agencies on TPL’s agenda. They will also possess the leadership, creativity and problem-solving skills necessary to help the SVP, Policy Advocacy and Government Relations (PAGR) to craft a successful land conservation, park creation, and climate change agenda, and to effectively manage a dynamic professional team.
- Execute TPL’s legislative agenda and strategy, considering both short-term program and project needs and long-term organizational relationships and credibility.
- Lead TPL’s climate change policy and advocacy work, in coordination with our climate team, improving communities’ resilience to climate impacts, accelerating and protecting natural carbon storage, and otherwise advancing nature as part of a comprehensive solution to climate change.
- Oversight of federal funding and policy advocacy for TPL land and park projects; including managing a portfolio of projects.
- Oversight and day-to-day management of Federal Relations Department.
- Lobby Congress on TPL priorities; including legislative drafting.
- Liaison to Executive Agencies; maintain cooperative relationships; determine agency priorities; and expedite TPL projects.
- Manage strong relationships with national NGO community, create effective partnerships and develop meaningful support for TPL’s agenda. Participation in national coalitions as needed.
- Work with Philanthropy to secure support for Federal Relations Team’s work.
- Work with Marketing/Communications staff on press statements, events and other media activities related to federal policy, programs and projects.
- Manage professional services contracts and grants as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience required. Master’s degree in related field preferred.
- Minimum of 10 years in federal relations and related fields, with at least 5 years management/supervisory experience.
- Extensive experience with federal legislative and agency processes; senior-level experience on Capitol Hill or in the Executive Branch preferred.
- Hands-on experience in climate change policy, strategy and politics; experience with Natural Climate Solutions, preferred.
- Demonstrated management experience; ability to motivate professional staff and build healthy team culture.
- Ability to establish strong relations with government officials and other partners; demonstrated strategic advocacy skills.
Join a diverse team of dedicated and passionate people working toward a mission you can believe in—creating parks and protecting land for people, ensuring healthy, livable communities for generations to come.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourage diversity in the workplace. We welcome people of all backgrounds and seek to foster a culture of respect, openness, learning, integrity, and fun. We strive to make our job postings accessible to all prospective applicants.
How to Apply
Submit resume and cover letter via our website: Sr. Director of Federal Relations | The Trust for Public Land (tpl.org)
Job posted: 2021-12-15