Sr. Director of Federal Relations
The Senior Director of Federal Relations has overall responsibility for development and execution of an effective TPL federal policy agenda as well as oversight and management of the Federal Relations department. The individual in this position is expected to possess the leadership, creativity and problem-solving skills necessary for TPL to maintain a successful land conservation, park creation, and climate change agenda, and to effectively manage a dynamic professional team.
- Oversight and day-to-day management of Federal Relations Department, including supervising staff and preparing departmental budget.
- Execute TPL’s legislative agenda and strategy, considering both short-term program and project needs and long-term organizational relationships and credibility.
- Lead TPL’s climate change policy and advocacy work, in coordination with our climate team, improving our resilience to climate impacts, accelerating and protecting natural carbon storage, and otherwise advancing nature as part of a comprehensive solution to climate change.
- Lobby Members of Congress on TPL priorities.
- Oversight of federal funding and policy for TPL land and park projects and programs.
- Oversight of TPL grasstops and grassroots advocacy campaigns across departments.
- Liaison to Washington DC federal agency staff to maintain cooperative relationships; determine agency priorities; and expedite TPL projects.
- Manage strong relationships with national NGO community, create effective partnerships and develop meaningful support for TPL’s agenda. Participation in national coalitions as needed.
- Work with Philanthropy to secure support for Federal Relations Team’s work.
- Work with marketing/communications staff on press statements, events and other media activities related to federal policy, programs and projects.
- Manage professional services contracts and grants as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience required. Master’s degree in related field preferred.
- Minimum of 10 years in federal relations and related fields, with at least 5 years management/supervisory experience.
- Extensive experience with federal legislative and agency processes, Senior-level experience on Capitol Hill or Administration preferred.
- Hands-on experience in climate change policy, strategy and politics; experience with Natural Climate Solutions, preferred.
- Demonstrated strategic advocacy skills.
- Excellent presentation and communication skills.
- Ability to establish strategic relations with government officials and other outside contacts.
- Demonstrated management experience; ability to motivate professional staff and build healthy team culture.
- Ability to travel – 10% time.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-08-19