Sr Director, Global Medical Affairs
Those who join Emergent BioSolutions feel a sense of ownership about their future. You will excel in an environment characterized by respect, innovation and growth opportunities. Here, you will join passionate professionals who advance their scientific, technical and professional skills to develop products designed-to protect life.
The Senior Director, Global Medical Affairs will be responsible for providing strategic planning, oversight and leadership across Emergent BioSolutions’ portfolio of products in the Global Medical Affairs organization. The Senior Director, Global Medical Affairs is responsible for scientific and medical communications strategy and provides vision, leadership, and mentoring to ensure medical initiatives are successfully implemented according to the medical affairs strategic plan.
The Senior Director, Global Medical Affairs will report to the Vice President, Global Medical Affairs and will be responsible for developing core medical strategy as well as tactics for Medical Teams across the US and internationally and collaborate across a matrix organization to ensure the Medical Affairs strategy and activities are achieved.
The Senior Director, Global Medical Affairs will have broad responsibilities for working across Medical Affairs to ensure aligned execution by Medical Affairs functions and therapeutic areas (US, International, Research, Scientific Communications, Training, Medical Affairs Operations, etc ). This individual shall also have the responsibility to manage across other cross-functional partners such as Commercial, Research and Development, Regulatory Affairs, Corporate Affairs, Business Development and Business Unit Teams to ensure appropriate Medical Affairs input and direction are provided.
As a member of the Global Medical Affairs Leadership team, the Senior Director, Global Medical Affairs will partner with the VP, Global Medical Affairs to build and continuously improve the Global Medical Affairs Team.
Through the development and maintenance of relationships with the external expert scientific community and stakeholders, the Senior Director, Global Medical Affairs will utilize his/her skills and relationships to advance medical/scientific engagement in research, advisory boards, medical education and scientific communications.
Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ensure that the medical communication strategy, including publication and congress plans, are aligned with the overall medical affairs strategic plan.
- Direct the annual strategic planning process to ensure medical projects are aligned with company priorities and resource allocation.
- In collaboration with Therapeutic Senior Directors, create and distribute periodic reports on medical affairs field insights.
- Provide medical expertise input into Product Development and Product Life Cycle teams as well as Business Units.
- Represent the company to groups of experts including medical professionals and societies at scientific meetings.
- Provide strategic direction and vision, and represent the Global Medical Affairs function on cross-functional teams.
- Foster close professional and scientific relationships with medical thought leaders and clinical investigators.
- Demonstrate ability to identify unmet clinical needs, evaluate product opportunities from a clinical perspective, and help develop strategies that leads to efficient development of such opportunities.
- Provide scientific input into evidence generation and publication strategy.
- Review manuscripts for publication and abstracts and posters for presentation at scientific meetings
- Oversee the development of a comprehensive global medical/scientific training program.
- Participate in the investigator-initiated research review, grant approvals and medical legal review of scientific materials.
- Provide strategic medical leadership to other medical functions (Medical/Scientific Communications, Medical Information, Medical Research, Medical Safety & Pharmacovigilance) as needed, to ensure the delivery of aligned projects and results.
- Serve as a technical and clinical resource for questions raised by medical affairs teams and other cross functional partners.
- Analyze and review data from relevant internal/external data sources and providing insights to the Medical Affairs team and cross-functional partners, as appropriate.
The above statements are intended to describe the nature of work performed by those in this job and are not an exhaustive list of all duties. Nothing in this job description restricts managements right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time which reflects management’s assignment of essential functions.
MINIMUM EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, SKILLS
- Advanced degree in medical science (MD, PhD, or PharmD)
- Bio-pharmaceutical experience in global medical affairs
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, dynamic environment
- Possess an understanding of both the pharmaceutical and healthcare industries
- Minimum 10 years of Medical Affairs experience in the biopharmaceutical industry.
- Proficient organizational skills with the ability to manage multiple complex projects/tasks at the same time
- Ability to prioritize tasks and work across locations and time zones.
- The Senior Director, Global Medical Affairs should be able to travel, including international travel, up to 40% of the time, depending on business needs.
PHYSICAL/MENTAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT CHARACTERISTICS
The physical/mental demands are representative of those that must be met by an individual to successfully perform the essential functions of the job.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an individual would encounter while performing the essential functions of the job.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Emergent BioSolutions is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, age, national origin, disability, Protected Veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law.
Emergent BioSolutions does not accept non-solicited resumes or candidate submittals from search/recruiting agencies not already on Emergent BioSolutions’ approved agency list. Unsolicited resumes or candidate information submitted to Emergent BioSolutions by search/recruiting agencies not already on Emergent BioSolutions’ approved agency list shall become the property of Emergent BioSolutions and if the candidate is subsequently hired by Emergent BioSolutions, Emergent BioSolutions shall not owe any fee to the submitting agency.
Job posted: 2020-09-09