Sr. Director, Government Relations (200010HI)
HMS makes the healthcare system work better for everyone. We fight fraud, waste, and abuse so people have access to healthcare—now and in the future. Using innovative technology and powerful data analytics, we help government and commercial payers reduce costs, increase quality, and achieve regulatory compliance. We also help consumers take a more active role in their own health. Each year, we save our clients billions of dollars while helping people live healthier lives. At HMS, you will develop new skills and build your career in a dynamic industry while making a difference in the lives of others.
We are seeking a talented individual for a Sr. Director, Government Relations who develops and implements strategic government relations agenda to identify and respond to opportunities and risks by managing lobbyists and/or internal staff, engaging with corporate strategy, and representing HMS with external stakeholders.
- Responsible for the creation of policies and positions which promote and advance the business development goals of HMS in the legislative and regulatory arenas.
- Responsible for independent analysis of the impact of health policy on HMS business including the identification of opportunities and risks; and communicating those items to internal and external stakeholders
- Participate in Corporate strategic planning sessions, when assigned
- Responsible for participating in internal and external speaking engagements.
- Act as a corporate liaison to industry groups and other stakeholders.
- Ensure effect use of corporate investments in industry associations.
- Responsible for leading and managing Government Relations related thought leadership initiatives.
- Build brand awareness and develop relationships with stakeholders through advocacy, lobbying efforts, conference participation, and fundraiser attendance.
- Assist the Business Units with business development sales efforts resulting in measurable revenue impact.
- Work with State/Federal Government Relations teams to coordinate activities across states and between state and federal governments.
- Responsible for hiring, training and monitoring lobbyists.
- Responsible for managing or mentoring internal GR staff.
- Independently represents HMS Government Relations at events, fundraisers, and conferences.
- Participate in proposal strategy and may lead proposal teams to include coordinating work effort, following through, and meeting deadlines.
- Responsible for planning and budgeting of the Government Relations program.
- Performs other functions as assigned
: Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Effective verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to interact with Senior Business Unit leaders and internal colleagues at various levels.
- Ability to effectively and independently articulate the HMS story.
- Ability to analyze information and use logic and process to address work-related issues and problems.
- Ability to anticipate issues, independently problem solve and think/act strategically
- Ability to be pro-active, self-direct work effort, and prioritize work load independently.
- Ability to negotiate and collaborate.
- Ability to manage expectations, resolves problems, and develops opportunities.
- Ability to manage and/or lead projects.
- Ability to work proficiently with Microsoft Excel, Word, PowerPoint and company databases.
- Average manual dexterity in use of a PC, phone, sorting, filing and other office machines.
- Thought leadership responsibilities.
Work Conditions and Physical Demands:
- Primarily sedentary work in a general office environment
- Ability to communicate and exchange information
- Ability to comprehend and interpret documents and data
- Requires occasional standing, walking, lifting, and moving objects (up to 10 lbs.)
- Requires manual dexterity to use computer, telephone and peripherals
- May be required to work extended hours for special business needs
- May be required to travel at least 10% of time based on business needs
- Bachelor’s degree required
Minimum Related Work Experience:
- 10 years Government Relations experience required to include research, presentation, written testimony and presentation experience required.
- Experience in Health Care Policy required.
Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
Job posted: 2020-07-10