Sr. Director Government Relations
About the job
Sr. Director Government Relations
The American Flood Coalition is a nonpartisan group of more than 250 elected officials, local leaders, military groups, and businesses that have come together to advocate for national solutions to sea level rise and flooding. The Coalition advances resilient and equitable solutions that support adaptation and recovery in flood-affected communities and protect our nation’s residents, economy, and military installations. With a uniquely singular focus on flooding and sea level rise, a creative approach to finding solutions, and an appreciation for deep community partnerships that leverage existing efforts, the Coalition seeks to significantly improve how communities around the country adapt to flooding and sea level rise.
We are looking for an experienced Sr. Director of Government Relations to join our senior leadership team and lead our government relations and policy team. The person in this position will develop and implement AFC’s bold and strategic government relations agenda to achieve our mission. This person will lead AFC’s engagement with policymakers in Congress and federal agencies, directing our policy strategy and advocacy efforts. The Sr. Director of Government Relations will manage four AFC team members, as well as several external consultants and advisors. If you wish to work alongside a talented group of people intent on helping flood-affected communities adapt and thrive, we want to talk to you. This is a full-time position reporting to our Executive Director and located in our headquarters in Washington, D.C.
- Build, support, and enable a powerbase of federal champions to take action on flooding and sea level rise and drive legislation
- Educate and cultivate relationships with bipartisan House and Senate Members to understand the importance of addressing sea level rise and flooding issues
- Lead, advise, and expand the AFC’s policy goals to support reforms that focus resources on highest impact opportunities
- Build alliances and partnerships that will allow for broader legislative efforts, including think tanks, trade associations, and NGOs
- Identify and create opportunities for AFC to engage Members of Congress and industry groups
- Identify needs for deep legislative analysis and commission research or recommend grants to develop reports and model legislation
- Ten years of relevant work experience, with at least five years of blended experience in the legislative process in the House or Senate
- Experience with Appropriations or Armed Services committees, as well as the House’s Transportation and Infrastructure committee or the Senate’s Environment and Public Works committee, is desired
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to build relationships on both sides of the aisle
- Excellent political instincts honed through strategic roles on campaigns or outside advocacy efforts
- Bachelor’s degree
- Highly competitive compensation
- Generous and flexible PTO
- Health, dental, and vision insurance
- Company-paid short-term and long-term disability, as well as basic life insurance and other voluntary benefits
- 401(k) Plan
- Relocation assistance (for candidates currently living outside of the D.C. metropolitan area)
- Company-sponsored outings, such as Friday happy hours, breakfast meetings, after-work socials and activities, an annual holiday party, and more
- A modern office with amenities, including lots of snacks, business casual dress code, gym access, and a collaborative floor plan with options to suit every workstyle
Please send resumes to email@example.com.
The American Flood Coalition is committed to attracting and retaining a diverse staff, and we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We invite applications from candidates with unique backgrounds and strive to create and maintain an environment that is inclusive, equitable, and welcoming.
Job posted: 2021-10-25