Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Sr Director, State Legislative and Government Affairs
Full Job Description
SENIOR DIRECTOR, STATE LEGISLATIVE AND GOVERNMENT AFFAIRS
Looking for a progressive opportunity to be involved in leading the future of dietetics?
The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, the world’s largest organization of food and nutrition professionals, is seeking a Senior Director, State Legislative and Government Affairs in our Washington, D.C. office to provide leadership that advances the mission and vision for the Academy’s strategies, initiatives and engagement for state issues including consumer protection and licensure, telehealth and payment and reimbursement.
This full-time, work-from-home flexible position provides legal analysis and guidance to affiliates in the development of consumer protection and licensure laws and rules that align with the Academy’s national strategy and the Registered Dietitian Nutrition and Nutrition and Dietetics Technician registered credentials. By assessing the public policy environment, the Senior Director, State Legislative and Government Affairs will recommend where legislative and regulatory action is advisable and where it is not and advise on organizational action
- Writes, reviews and conducts legal analysis for model, proposed and existing legislative and regulatory language. In collaboration with affiliates, external lobbyists, stakeholders (internal and external) and legal counsel, represent the Academy in meetings as necessary to reach consensus while maintaining alignment with education, qualification and credentialing standards for the Dietetics profession.
- Assesses legislative and regulatory environment and prioritizes state issues to determine appropriate representation by the Academy.
- Provides oversight, mentoring and guidance for the Director, Consumer Protection and Licensure, including the delegation, monitoring and evaluation of a portfolio of specific states with active licensure initiatives or those that intersect, such as telehealth and reimbursement and payment.
- Establishes and communicates key performance goals for the assigned portfolio and develops systems that consistently share information through meetings and other regular interactions.
- Partners with the key internal stakeholders to develop and direct state government affairs strategies, initiatives and engagement around issues impacting the nutrition and dietetics profession.
- Leads a high functioning team to integrate state government affairs into the Academy’s grassroots advocacy initiatives, including leading state campaigns designed to increase the political profile of the Academy, affiliates, and the profession.
- Identifies, conducts, and assigns necessary research efforts to support state issues, including special projects and reports.
- Provides oversight of the Incident Reporting Tool to ensure data and information management standards are upheld and communicates with the Ethics Committee as needed.
- In collaboration with the Vice President, the Senior Director works with outside legal counsel on projects to identify solutions to complex issues and threats and communicates findings to key internal subcommittees and other groups including the Boards of Directors of the Academy, CDR and ACEND.
- With support from outside counsel, serves as the Academy representative to affiliates with licensure law legal challenges.
- Contributes to Academy publications, including public policy news articles, blurbs, regulatory comments and preparation of critical correspondence. Advocates for Academy policy priorities and participates in grassroots advocacy events.
- Manages legal intern program and ensures compliance with internal processes and those of the academic institution.
- Master’s degree in Public Policy Administration, Law, Public Affairs,or a related field required. Law Degree preferred with a license to practice in at least one state.
- RDN credential strongly preferred
- 7 – 10 years of relevant work experience
- Must be willing to actively support the Academy’s leadership principles. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees
- Must possess excellent relationship-building, problem-solving and negotiation skills and the ability to interpret policy analysis and research.
- Must possess excellent communication and interpersonal skills along with the ability to communicate with members at all levels of practice and a variety of audiences, with an understanding of state government.
- Ideal candidate will demonstrate excellent judgment and relationship building skills when creating and nurturing important relationships on Capitol Hill and federal agencies. Must be able to work under tight deadlines while producing high quality work.
The Academy offers a salary commensurate with experience as well as an excellent benefit package including medical, dental, long term disability, tuition reimbursement and 401k match with* IMMEDIATE VESTING!*
The Academy promotes a friendly, professional and challenging team-based work environment.
The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their protected veteran or disabled status and will not be discriminated against.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2022-11-02