Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Sr Director, US Federal Government Relations
About Thermo Fisher Scientific
When you’re part of the team at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll do meaningful work, that makes a positive impact on a global scale! Join over 120,000 colleagues who bring our Mission to life every single day to enable our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. You’ll find the resources here to achieve your career goals and help take science a step beyond by developing solutions for some of the world’s toughest challenges. This includes protecting the environment, making sure our food is safe, and helping find cures for cancer.
How will you make an impact?
The Sr. Director, US Federal Government Relations will lead the US GR team, overseeing three Washington-based professionals. The ideal candidate will assess the company’s diverse priorities and evaluate our positions on the highest priority legislative issues. The role will represent Thermo Fisher on Capitol Hill and with key Executive Branch agencies and provide support on certain strategic funding opportunities.
The person will manage issues impacting the entire spectrum of Thermo Fisher’s business — encompassing both products and services, as well as issues related to our role as a large, highly acquisitive US-based public company — and other topics that touch our customers and our colleagues.
What will you do?
- Evaluate how Thermo Fisher engages with the U.S. federal government in order to protect the company’s reputation, advance our interests, create new markets for our products, generate revenue and avoid costs;
- Create opportunities to strengthen and expand our profile, reputation and influence with the federal stakeholders;
- Work with company leadership to prioritize the issues where we should be advocating, offering solutions for lower priority issues that still require advocacy (by coalitions, 3rd parties, etc.) and effectively minimizing distractions for the team;
- Be Thermo Fisher’s most senior US GR representative on Capitol Hill, with the White House and the Executive Branch, leading a team that develops advocacy strategies and plots the most effective and efficient path to the desired outcome;
- Develop a network of senior company leaders to determine positions, identify advocates from across the company and communicate GR’s impact;
- Allocate team resources to advocate multiple unrelated issues at any one time, with quick turnarounds and balancing many priorities at once;
- Host government officials at our US sites to demonstrate our impact on our communities;
- Manage both consultants and trade association relationships;
- Educate our colleagues about the value and work of US government relations;
- Provide oversight of the company’s Political Action Committee (PAC), demonstrating a keen sense of how to mitigate risks while creating champions;
- 10+ years of progressive experience on Capitol Hill, with a federal agency, at a firm, association and/or company;
- Ability to strategize for lobbying success and lead multiple complex lobbying efforts;
- Clear understanding of federal issues touching Thermo Fisher – including life sciences issues as well as business community topics like competition, export controls and the economy;
- Strong relationships with officials and 3rd parties that are influential with our key partners;
- 30% travel, primarily domestic
- Personal attachment to Thermo Fisher Scientific’s mission
- Executive presence with the ability to communicate complex issues succinctly and effectively to senior leaders;
- Strategic problem solver who pursues activities connected to our mission and with our 2030 Vision in mind;
- Energetic leader who can develop and manage a successful, impactful team
We offer competitive remuneration, annual incentive plan bonus scheme, healthcare, and a range of employee benefits! Thermo Fisher Scientific offers employment with an innovative, forward-thinking organization, and outstanding career and development prospects. We offer an exciting company culture that stands for integrity, intensity, involvement, and innovation.
Thermo Fisher Scientific is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided a reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform critical job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request an accommodation.
Job posted: 2023-05-25