Sr Government Affairs Director
The Senior Director for Government Affairs, based in Medtronic’s Washington, DC Office, will serve as a senior member of the company’s U.S. Government Affairs team, reporting to the VP, Government Affairs – Americas. Working closely with key internal partners, this position will help develop, implement and drive U.S. policy development and related federal and state advocacy strategies to assist Medtronic in achieving its core strategies of Therapy Innovation, Globalization and Economic Value. The Senior Director will engage and represent the company with key external stakeholders, including government officials, trade associations and industry partners, to advance the company’s objectives and strategic priorities. The position will play an integral role in helping Medtronic build a best in class government affairs organization.
Responsibilities may include the following and other duties may be assigned.
- Serve as a senior member of the U.S. Government Affairs team and provide leadership and support as needed across a variety of programs and initiatives
- Assist with the development and execution of U.S. government affairs strategies designed to support Medtronic’s core business strategies of Therapy Innovation, Globalization and Economic Value and the needs of the individual business groups and functions
- Monitor and anticipate legislative and regulatory policy developments affecting Medtronic’s businesses and help strategically position the company to effectively engage
- Build and maintain effective relationships with key internal partners to advance policy priorities and objectives
- Build and maintain effective relationships with key U.S. government officials, including spending significant time working directly with the U.S. Congress and the federal Executive Branch
- Help to support, drive and maximize Medtronic’s trade association memberships
- Work with colleagues throughout the Global Government Affairs organization, especially partners on the Enterprise Wide team, to support enterprise-wide communications and strategies relating to the different businesses in the U.S.
- Lead U.S. Government Affairs internal and external engagement in key policy areas including, but not limited to, related to the Food and Drug Administration, cybersecurity, data security and privacy
- Actively engage with key U.S. Government Affairs advocacy programs including Medtronic PAC, Citizen Medtronic – the company’s grassroots advocacy program and Advocacy Ambassadors – the company’s grassroots leadership program
- This person will be expected to travel periodically
- Bachelor’s degree
- Minimum of 15 years of relevant experience with 10+ years of managerial experience , or advanced degree with a minimum 13 years prior relevant experience, minimum of 10 years of managerial experience
- Experience working in U.S. government affairs with state or federal legislative or executive branches, including direct government service
- Experience working with trade associations, either directly or from within a corporation
- Experience working in the health care industry
- Advanced degree
- Medical device industry experience
- Experience working on policy related to the Food and Drug Administration, cybersecurity, data security and privacy
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, especially regarding policy development, analysis and advocacy; Must be able to clearly and succinctly convey complex information
- Very strong interpersonal skills; ability to build relationships and communicate effectively with people of varied professional, cultural, and educational backgrounds
- Exceptional advocacy skills with a proven record of successfully driving advocacy strategies
- Demonstrated experience working directly with senior executives and government officials
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and successfully prioritize competing tasks in a fast-paced environment
- Demonstrated ability to develop and execute on specific strategies – with a strong, attendant record of accomplishment
- Experience working with a political action committee and grassroots advocacy program
- Proven record of success as part of a team
PHYSICAL JOB REQUIREMENTS: Physical capabilities to perform the job
- The physical demands described within the Responsibilities section of this job description are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to be independently mobile. The employee is also required to interact with a computer and communicate with peers and co-workers.
Together, we can change healthcare worldwide. At Medtronic, we push the limits of what technology can do to help alleviate pain, restore health and extend life. We challenge ourselves and each other to make tomorrow better than yesterday. It is what makes this an exciting and rewarding place to be.
We can accelerate and advance our ability to create meaningful innovations – but we will only succeed with the right people on our team. Let’s work together to address universal healthcare needs and improve patients’ lives. Help us shape the future.
It is the policy of Medtronic to provide equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. In addition, Medtronic will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities.
This employer participates in the federal E-Verify program to confirm the identity and employment authorization of all newly hired employees. For further information about the E-Verify program, please click here: http://www.uscis.gov/e-verify/employees
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of employees assigned to this position.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2019-03-20