Sr Government Affairs Representative
Promotes Marathon Petroleum in Southern California through coordination of effective stakeholder outreach efforts and development of positive relations with local governmental officials. The position serves as the company’s interface with multiple local and county level branches of government and regulatory bodies, as well as serving as a liaison to work in partnership with key trade organizations, business groups, and community stakeholders.
- Acts as primary liaison with local and county governments, representing all Marathon Petroleum businesses operating in the entire Southern CA region (refining, logistic, retail and marine)
- Manages local public policy issues, legislation and ordinances. Represents Company interests through interaction with key elected officials and local agencies and associations.
- Develops and implements public policy strategies supporting business goals and promoting positive reputational image within the local community, while assessing community needs and expectations.
- Coordinates and ensures active participation in business trade organizations that enhance public policy interests at the local level.
- Provides communication support on local public policy issues. Acts as liaison between local operational entities and leadership team relative to local public policy issues.
- Establishes and implements an approach to aid grassroots constituency-building efforts.
- Develops and implements a consistent approach to, and strategic priorities for, community relations and outreach programs, philanthropic programs, voluntary employee community involvement programs.
- Ensures active participation in programs and civic organizations to enhance commitment to social responsibility at local level.
- Advises management and business leadership of local government, community, and media issues.
- Prepares government affairs reports to executive management team and newsletters to outside constituencies.
- Coordinates establishment of key policy positions and manages communication to appropriate elected and regulatory officials.
- Serves as a member of business trade associations to enhance public policy for the business community.
- Keeps abreast of governmental and regulatory issues which may impact business.
- Advises management on key legislative and regulatory issues.
- Works with stakeholders to find mutually agreeable options for regulations and ordinances that impact our business.
- Assists with securing necessary permit and licenses for the businesses
- Credible and sought-after thought leader on issues that matter to government and Marathon.
- Engages with peers, NGO’s, and other relevant stakeholders to address issues of mutual interest.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Minimum Bachelor’s degree in public relations, communication, journalism, public policy, engineering or related discipline required.
- Minimum of 11 years of government, community or public affairs experience required
- Experience within refining, marketing, and logistics industry strongly preferred
- Ability to manage and prioritize multiple competing issues concurrently
- Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills
- Advanced interpersonal skills and proven track record of building strong relationships with individuals across the political and advocacy spectrum
- Firm understanding of regulatory and governmental processes
- Strong personal integrity and the ability to think strategically
- Demonstrated ability to work across business boundaries
About Marathon Petroleum Corporation
Marathon Petroleum Corporation is a leading, integrated, downstream energy company headquartered in Findlay, Ohio. The company operates the nation’s largest refining system with more than 3 million barrels per day of crude oil capacity across 16 refineries. Marathon Petroleum’s marketing system includes branded locations across the United States, including Marathon branded outlets. Speedway LLC, a Marathon Petroleum subsidiary, owns and operates retail convenience stores across the United States. MPC also owns the general partner and majority limited partner interest in MPLX LP, a midstream company which owns and operates gathering, processing, and fractionation assets, as well as crude oil and light product transportation and logistics infrastructure.
Travel Expected: Up to 10%
Marathon Petroleum Company LP is an Equal Opportunity Employer and gives consideration for employment to qualified applicants without discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, sex, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, mental or physical disability, medical condition or AIDS/HIV status, ancestry, national origin, genetic information, military, veteran status, marital status, citizenship or any other status protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws. If you would like more information about your EEO rights as an applicant, click here.
If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process at Marathon Petroleum LP, please contact our Human Resources Department at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please specify the reasonable accommodation you are requesting, along with the job posting number in which you may be interested. A Human Resources representative will review your request and contact you to discuss a reasonable accommodation.
Equal Opportunity Employer: Veteran / Disability
Marathon Petroleum Company LP participates in the E-Verify program in some states in which it operates (including AL, AZ, GA, MS, NC, SC, TN, and UT). For more information before proceeding, please see details in English or Spanish. Right to Work Statement English or Spanish.
To view benefit information for Marathon Petroleum Corporation please visit mympcbenefits.com.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-03-24