Sr. Government Relations Manager
Postmates is on a mission to help people unlock the best of their communities — and their lives, with an insanely reliable on-demand “anything” network. We were the first and still are the leading company in the on-demand space — with a fleet of over 300,000 Postmates, the largest network of merchants in the U.S., and a brand that has become a verb in popular culture. We’re looking for people who aren’t afraid to be first — who see the whole landscape and think outside the box,and who are passionate about creating the new, “new.”
We are looking for a Senior Government Relations Manager. This position will help lead the company’s overall public policy and government relations strategy, while elevating our policy leadership on a range of topics including the future of work, next-generation technologies, government regulation, taxes, immigration and legal matters.
We are a high energy team with a passion for people, culture, great storytelling, and innovative policy-making and regulation that shapes the future of tech policy.
You must be a team player, a sharp writer, and savvy in building trust with external and internal stakeholders. You must be confident in capturing the attention of journalists when highlighting consumer facing elements of the brand; and you must bring empathy and creative support to communicating the public policy positions of the company. You are comfortable and confident working directly with executives, partners, governments, lawmakers, and journalists. We are looking for an effective and creative leader who has the ability to explain complex ideas in simple ways and can laugh at themselves at the same time. This will be a permanent position. Location flexible but preferably based in San Francisco. Experience with municipal and statewide government stakeholders in Washington State and New York desired.
- Support the implementation of Postmates’ policy priorities by mapping stakeholders at the local, state, and federal level.
- Build trusted relationships with various business, trade associations, and government stakeholders to foster consensus and build action plans.
- Drive creation of projects that will generate media interest across a range of issues including economic empowerment, sustainability, and social good.
- Conduct research, writing, and other collaborative activities as necessary to ensure that high stakes business decisions are informed by current regulatory regimes.
- Manage policy development processes to ensure legislative and regulatory advocacy support the future growth of the business, across markets.
- Work with multiple stakeholders across the organization to support key Company objectives — by leveraging, shaping and better articulating the brand across all channels and projects.
- At least 8+ years experience working with policy issues in a relevant business or non-governmental organization–or in a political, governmental or regulatory context. A mix of public and private sector experience is an advantage. Experience with tax, privacy, and complex labor and workforce issues preferred.
- Degree or advanced degree level in a related field. JD preferred but not necessary.
- Direct government relations experience with Members of Congress; State Legislators; Mayors and City Council Members. Multiple jurisdictions, including Washington State and New York desired.
- Direct policy experience, preferable in the following fields: labor & workforce; employment law; privacy; tax; smart cities; robotics and emerging technologies; data; climate sustainability; immigration; e-commerce/internet regulation.
- Excellent writing skills with the ability to draft and package top notch content on rapid deadlines.
- 2 or more years of on the record experience, earning media coverage across markets.
- Strong analysis and critical thinking skills; ability to resolve complex and unfamiliar problems in a creative manner.
- Ability to manage and prioritize several competing, and ability to influence people and manage issues effectively with little input or direction.
- Media and strategic campaign planning experience preferred.
- Unrivaled verbal communications skills with the ability to diplomatically advance a position with senior executives and customers of all stripes.
- Eccentricity required — you are not afraid to create new things and think differently. In fact, you kind of live for that. Candidates with nontraditional backgrounds encouraged to apply.
- Scrap factor: You are great at making tough, fast decisions based on business objectives.
- Passion for Postmates and a sense of humor, preferred. OK, required.
- Competitive salary and generous stock option plan (stay aligned with the long term value you create)
- Medical, dental and vision insurance and it’s 100% paid for by the company
- Tasty, healthy lunches
- Snack-filled kitchen (mostly healthy, but very tasty)
- Impact-first work environment (no politics, no pandering)
- Huge company vision (we need you to build the future, not just maintain the status quo)
- Killer office in San Francisco close to mass transit
Learn more here
Job posted: 2019-09-09