Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Sr Govt Affairs Specialist – 90302455
Amtrak connects businesses and communities across the country and we move America’s workforce toward the future. We employ more than 20,000 diverse, energetic professionals in a variety of career fields throughout the United States. The safety of our passengers, our employees, the public and our operating environment is our priority and the success of our railroad is the result of our employees.
Are you ready to join our team?
SUMMARY OF DUTIES:
This role is responsible for supporting congressional affairs as part of the company’s overall legislative strategy to educate and inform Congress on various issues that impact Amtrak and intercity passenger rail.
• Support Government Affairs’ outreach to House and/or Senate members and staff through preparing for, participating in, and on occasion leading in-person meetings and briefings, phone calls, site visits, and other interactions with the Hill in order to educate and inform the legislative branch on Amtrak and passenger rail issues.
• Provide research and analysis to Government Affairs staff on rail-related legislation; monitor authorization and appropriations bills and amendments being considered by Congress.
• Assist with preparation and organization of background materials for congressional hearings where Amtrak representatives will testify.
• Monitor hearings and markups featuring subject matter and legislation that could impact Amtrak operations and business decisions.
• Draft internal memoranda, bill and report language and other technical assistance, policy one pagers/white papers, and talking points.
• Manage congressional correspondence and information requests, including tracking incoming mail, researching answers to the queries and working with internal subject matter experts to compile responses, and drafting official responses on behalf of the department and/or Amtrak leadership.
• Plan events, site visits, briefings, trips and tours for congressional staff and members in order to familiarize them with Amtrak’s business and railroad operations.
• Assist the department with improving efficiencies and processes within the department and leading special projects and other tasks as assigned by the Senate and House leads and the Assistant Vice President in support of the Government Affairs’ mission and annual goals.
• Bachelor’s Degree in business, public policy/administration, political science, or a related field or the equivalent combination of education and training/experience plus 3 years of relevant work experience.
• Effective writing, presentation, and meeting skills; interpersonal communication; time management; and conflict resolution.
• Demonstrated experience communicating orally and in writing within the corporation and externally.
• Ability to attend, events and receptions frequently after normal business hours.
• Ability to travel at a minimum of 5%.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Able to handle multiple tasks at one time and adapts easily to an exceptionally fast-paced working environment.
• Motivated and able to work independently with limited supervision.
• 4-5 years of work experience in a congressional office or supporting the government affairs work of an organization that works closely with Congress.
• Experience as a Legislative Assistant, Legislative Aide or Legislative Correspondent for a Member of Congress
• Advanced knowledge of Microsoft PowerPoint.
COMMUNICATIONS AND INTERPERSONAL SKILLS:
Must have excellent oral and written communication skills.
Posting Location(s):District of Columbia; Maryland; Virginia
Job Family/Function:Government Affairs
Travel Requirements:Up to 25%
Amtrak employees power our progress through their performance.
We want your work at Amtrak to be more than a job – we want it to be a fulfilling experience where you find challenging and rewarding opportunities, respect among colleagues, competitive pay, benefits that protect you and your family and a high performance culture that recognizes and values your contributions and helps you reach your career goals.
All positions require pre-employment background check verification, a pre-employment drug screen and proof of full vaccination against COVID -19. Amtrak is committed to a safe workplace free of drugs and alcohol and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing. Marijuana, notwithstanding any statute, ordinance, regulation, or other law that legalizes or decriminalizes the use or possession of marijuana, whether for medical, recreational, or other use. Candidates who engage in the usage of marijuana will not be qualified for hire. Successful applicants for employment with Amtrak must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 by the date of hire as a condition of employment, subject to requests for accommodation. Fully vaccinated means 14 days have elapsed since receiving the second dose of the Pfizer or Moderna vaccine or 14 days since receiving the Johnson & Johnson vaccine.
In accordance with DOT regulations (49 CFR § 40.25), Amtrak is required to obtain prior drug and alcohol testing records for applicants/employees intending to perform safety-sensitive duties for covered Department of Transportation positions. If an applicant/employee refuses to provide written consent for Amtrak to obtain these records, the individual will not be permitted to perform safety-sensitive functions.
Note that any education requirement listed above may be deemed satisfied if you have an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Amtrak is an EOE/Affirmative Action Minority/Female employer, and we welcome all to apply. We consider candidates regardless of race/color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth and related conditions), national origin/ethnicity, age, disability (intellectual, mental and physical), veteran status, marital status, ancestry, sexual orientation, gender identity and gender expression, genetic information, citizenship or any other personal characteristics protected by law.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2022-01-03