Sr Lead Government Affairs Manager
Founded in 1999, Dexcom, Inc. provides continuous glucose monitoring technology to help patients and their clinicians better manage diabetes. Since our inception, we have focused on better outcomes for patients, caregivers, and clinicians by delivering solutions for people with diabetes – while empowering our community to take control of diabetes.
The Senior Manager of State Government Affairs is responsible for ensuring profitable patient access for Dexcom products and services within the evolving state government markets; focus is on diabetes access within Medicaid fee for service and evolving models. The position will require registration as a state lobbyist, and will establish, promote, and maintain relationships with key governmental positions. This position will also direct advocacy efforts with select nonprofit organizations, key public (government) and private sector organizations to position Dexcom as a leader within state delivered diabetes care.
***This is a remote position which will cover the Western half of the US. Base location is flexible***
Functional Description: Professional Individual Contributor
Designs plans for government outreach by providing analysis of emerging or existing legislative public policy issues impacting the company. Gathers intelligence and assists in the preparation of position papers, policy briefings, presentations, and legislative testimony for pending legislative actions. Coordinates actions through strategic partners in government and industry communicating corporate positions and objectives. Projects may include implementation of public policy activities, government and industry lobbying efforts, advocating government funding initiatives and identifying new opportunities favorably advancing the company’s influence with government policymakers.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Execute strategies to key targeted states to ensure profitable access with fee-for-service Medicaid programs.
- Execute strategies to ensure coding, coverage and reimbursement criteria are met to ensure appropriate patient access.
- Serve as primary interface with state government decision makers and key state advocacy organizations as they relate to access and reimbursement at the state level.
- Understand and communicate cross functionally (internally, to market access teams) the political and economic conditions of the state within the evolving health care climate for patients with diabetes.
- Communicate and recommend to senior management actions to be taken in response to changing state market conditions that would impact the Dexcom business.
- Ensure full compliance to all Federal and State lobbying requirements, registration and reporting.
- Have knowledge of key Federal policies and initiatives that would impact state strategies with regards to access.
- Understand key business issues and is able to analyze how state policy changes could impact the business (key business acumen).
- Minimum of 7 years related experience and/or training; or equivalent of education and experience
- Education: Bachelor’s in a relevant field (health policy, public health, business and government affairs) required. Master’s (MBA, MA or MS) preferred.
- Demonstrated success in executing administrative (policy) and legislative state government affairs
- Experience in management of state lobbyists, contract negotiations and performance management
- Experience in a cross-functional, matrixed business organization preferred
- Diabetes Therapy/Device experience desired
- Health economic outcome research desired
- 50 to 75%
- ***This is a remote position which will cover the eastern half of the US. Base location is flexible***
- Provides expertise and advice to guide the activities of a project. Generally has an advanced level of expertise and is capable of working on any project that would typically arise in the function. Viewed as expert in the field within the Major Function.
- Provides insight in the development of functional objectives utilizing broad expertise and knowledge.
- Works independently on significant and unique issues where analysis of situations or data requires an evaluation of intangibles.
- May develop new approaches and applications of programs or systems to lead processes in new direction.
- Exercises independent judgment in methods, techniques and evaluation criteria for obtaining results.
- Demonstrates independent decision making and use of good judgment.
- Acts independently to determine methods and procedures on new or special assignments.
- May oversee the activities of others.
Experience and Education Requirements:
- Typically requires a Bachelor’s degree and a minimum of 13+ years of related experience.
- At this level a graduate degree may be expected with 6 years of related experience.
Language Skills: Must be able to communicate effectively in English. Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. May be required to perform the following Physical Activity: Standing, walking, sitting, using hands, handle or feel, reach with hands and arms, climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl, talk or hear, taste or smell. May be required to lift 0 lbs. to over 100 lbs.
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. May be exposed to the following environmental conditions: Wet or humid conditions, work near moving parts, work in high – precarious places, fumes or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals, outdoor weather conditions, extreme heat (non-weather), extreme cold (non-weather), risk of electric shock, work with explosives, risk of radiation, vibration. The noise level in this work environment can range from quiet to very loud.
Please note: The information contained herein is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of the duties and responsibilities of the job, nor are they intended to be an all-inclusive list of the skills and abilities required to do the job. Management may, at its discretion, assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time. The duties and responsibilities in this job description may be subject to change at any time due to reasonable accommodation or other reasons.
Job posted: 2021-02-11