Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Sr. Manager, Corporate Communications
New York, NY, United States
Macy’s is proudly America’s Department Store. For more than 160 years, Macy’s has served generations at every stage of their lives. Customers come to us for fashion, value and celebration. The Macy’s Corporate Communications team informs, inspires, and engages our colleagues, customers, and communities.
This mid-level executive will support communications efforts in the areas of corporate/national media relations, financial communications, ESG communications, supply chain communications, corporate brand management, thought leadership, and issues management. He/she/they will partner cross-functionally with the Transformation/Strategy, Corporate Finance, Investor Relations, Human Resources, Real Estate, Sustainability, Supply Chain, and Legal teams to craft the strategy and messaging for these essential pieces of the overall corporate narrative. Specifically, develop a highly proactive media relations plan year-round to elevate the Macy’s, Inc. corporate brand and profile of its senior leadership. In addition to a primary focus on the Macy’s brand while integrating Bloomingdale’s and Bluemercury into the overarching Macy’s, Inc. brand. This executive is joined by a Director who will also report directly to the Senior Director, Corporate Communications.
- Develop and implement Macy’s corporate communications strategy including business media relations and issues management. Serve as a Macy’s, Inc. corporate spokesperson.
- Create corporate and media announcements, placing stories geared toward business-focused subjects including primary corporate strategies, supply chain, M&A, real estate transactions, and ESG.
- Serve as a corporate spokesperson for incoming media inquiries related to business across the Macy’s, Inc. portfolio; act as the primary contact for Tier I business media (e.g., Wall Street Journal, Reuters, Bloomberg, CNBC, etc.)
- Drive strategy in direct partnership with Investor Relations stakeholders on the annual report, earnings reports, news releases, and materials for analyst meetings.
- Drive/own Macy’s, Inc.’s corporate sustainability narrative, partnering with the Sustainability team to develop strategy and plan for communicating the company’s ESG priorities and track record.
- Drive process around corporate reporting, including coordinating with various teams across the enterprise to support development of key reports (e.g. ESG, sustainability, DEI, Human Capital, etc.), ensure alignment with corporate narrative, as well as track critical report-filing deadlines from SEC, ratings agencies, NGOs or other third parties.
- Partner with the Legal team to draft Board reports, company policies, corporate governance updates and related content.
- Partner with the Supply Chain team to develop strategy and execute plan to establish CSCO as a thought leader and communicate their key priorities.
- Liaise with Real Estate team to develop communications in support of real estate transactions, modernization, growth through smaller-format stores and optimization of current store fleet.
- Manage the corporate brand online, including modernizing and maintaining the macysinc.com corporate website, driving social amplification of corporate messages and more.
- Review internal and external communications materials to ensure they are consistent with the corporate narrative and that SEC regulations (Reg FD) are being followed.
- Support company’s thought leadership program including high impact conference speaking calendar and awards and recognition programs, especially for CEO, CFO, CLO and CSCO.
- Support the creation of all media related CEO, CFO, CLO and CSCO appearances and materials.
- Effectively manage and allocate financial and corporate media relations resources, including agency support across functions.
- Manage the communication of critical events according to best practices, maintaining a standard of the highest quality and confidentiality including incident response and situation monitoring.
- Develop a full understanding of the business strategy and operational rhythms of Macy’s, Inc.
- Supervise and oversee the development of an entry-level colleague (coordinator).
- Oversee the development and dissemination of the daily media report.
- Contribute to key enterprise communications channels such as the weekly internal newsletter, colleague portal and Macy’s, Inc. social media.
- Support the wider External Communications team with on-site execution of communications plans in New York City including Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade, Macy’s 4th of July Fireworks, Macy’s Flower Show, Macy’s Holiday events, Black Friday, etc.
Qualifications and Competencies:
- We encourage candidates with either a bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience in a related field to apply.
- 5+ years of experience in corporate media relations and communications.
- Agency experience will be considered if candidate has hands-on financial communications experience.
- Expert knowledge of financial communications strategies, SEC regulations, and working relationship with Investor Relations.
- Proven national media relationships.
- Excellent writing and presentation skills along with a strong business and financial acumen.
- Crisis communications experience, sound judgment, and ability to operate effectively in high pressure, short-deadline situations.
- Understand drivers of shareholder value and relevant business models; ability to translate these into appropriate external messages.
- Ability to work with and counsel senior executives on sensitive and confidential matters.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and effectively manage high-performing teams and interact with individuals at all levels of an organization. Flexible hours including nights, weekends, and select holidays (July 4, Thanksgiving Day, Black Friday, etc.)
Learn more here
Job posted: 2023-09-13