Sr. Manager, Government Affairs, Appropriations
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
SR. MANAGER, GOVERNMENT AFFAIRS, APPROPRIATIONS
SpaceX is expanding engagement with key Congressional, Department of Defense, and Intelligence Community customers and partners. As a Sr. Manager on our Government Affairs team, you will have a key role in shaping and implementing SpaceX’s advocacy strategy with respect to Congress and Executive agencies in support of the company’s business objectives. You will work with a broad degree of autonomy and be key in our shared success.
- Day-to-day appropriations and lobbying on Capitol Hill and with Executive agencies
- Support engagement with the Pentagon and the Intelligence Community to advance SpaceX priorities and business
- Develop, maintain, and build upon a network of relationships with Congressional staff relating to strategic opportunities for SpaceX in the defense sector
- Help shape SpaceX federal appropriations, legislative and business development strategies, tactics, and policy development
- Execute appropriations strategies, draft legislative language, attend hearings, draft hearing testimony, and develop policy positions
- Monitor and analyze federal/defense budgets, legislative proposals, and appropriations
- Support and attend industry-related social events on behalf of SpaceX
- Prepare presentations for key audiences for SpaceX leadership
- Perform research and out-briefs as needed
- Bachelor’s degree
- 5+ years of professional experience working on legislative matters in the private sector, a Congressional office, an Executive agency, and/or the Intelligence Community
- Active Top Secret clearance with current SCI or SCI eligibility
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Direct experience with appropriations and budget planning and development
- Outstanding written and verbal communications skills
- Advanced degree (MA, JD, PhD) in science, policy, or political science
- Experience working on issues directly related to DOD and the Intelligence Community, or other agencies with space capabilities or responsibilities
- Knowledge of launch vehicles, spacecraft and launch services
- Knowledge of satellite systems and defense/Intelligence Community programs
- Knowledge of U.S. federal contracting and acquisition practices
- Direct experience in achieving definitive legislative outcomes
- Passion for SpaceX’s mission and goals
- Demonstrated ability to solve complex problems
- Demonstrated ability to forge coalitions and partnerships
- Must be willing to travel
- Must be willing to work extended hours and weekends, as needed
- Must be willing to attend political and industry events on behalf of SpaceX
- An active clearance may provide the opportunity for you to work on sensitive SpaceX missions.; if so, you will be subject to pre-employment drug testing and random drug and alcohol testing
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-05-30