Sr. Manager, Government Affairs & Business Development (94745)
American Water is consolidating employees based at multiple sites in southern New Jersey into one Corporate Headquarters location in Camden, New Jersey for a greater sense of community, efficiency and collaboration. More than 600 people from each of the four existing buildings will move in a phased approach beginning in early October and continuing through November. Positions posted in Voorhees, Mount Laurel, and Cherry Hill, NJ will ultimately be based in Camden, NJ.
Founded in 1886, American Water is the largest and most geographically diverse publicly traded U.S. water and wastewater utility company. With headquarters in Voorhees, N.J., the company employs over 7,000 dedicated professionals who provide regulated and market-based drinking water, wastewater and other related services to an estimated 15 million people in 46 states and Ontario, Canada. To learn more about American Water and additional career opportunities, visit www.amwater.com.
Improve business climate for the Company through positive interactions with legislators and regulators and external opinion formers. Influence at state level to promote initiatives that support Company and other stakeholder goals and objectives. Leads business development growth strategy for the state, drives pursuit of new business opportunities, identifies promising opportunities, plans for and participates in sales calls, coordinates bid development and offer development processes, updates the business development plan and assesses risks to commitments for securing profitable and sustainable business growth in line with the company’s business plan targets and strategy.
- Understand and articulate in a compelling way the Company position on key legislative issues.
- Shape and influence legislative programs and other critical business issues in alignment with Company goals and objectives.
- Lead the building of the business development pipeline and identifying target opportunities to maintain a steady flow of projects and plans for securing those in line with the business plan. Identify, qualify and prioritize leads through the use of appropriate tools, local market data and active targeted prospecting.
- Develop, shape & track potential opportunities and match service and product offerings with customer needs. Make personal contacts to develop candidates for potential acquisitions. Recommends initial service offerings to create commercially viable solutions to meet customer needs.
- Manage the end to end business development cycle for less complex service offerings, coordinates and at times manages multifunction deal team in preparation of acquisition proposals and presentations.
- Assist with asset valuation studies and financial analysis and operational viability studies of targeted opportunities with appropriate departments.
- Create market awareness and interest in American Water, and develop and maintain American Water brand image with the key industry stakeholders within the designated territory, interface directly or indirectly with lower level environmental regulators, attend municipal and public meetings as required, plans and staffs trade shows and industry events.
- Evaluate new and emerging technologies, regulatory changes, and other relevant factors in order to assist in the identification of new business opportunities.
- Establish constructive relationships with elected and appointed officials on a federal, state, and local level and invest considerable time and energy in prioritized networking activity.
- Prepare briefing documents that can be cascaded to key stakeholders (employees, public officials, etc.) to communicate pertinent issues (legislative, Company investment projects, business change, etc.).
- Apprise senior management relative to pertinent legislative issues and other external facts which impact on the business.
- Work cooperatively with affiliated industry, trade, or consumer groups to accomplish company goals and benefit our stakeholders.
- Track and monitor legislative bills and trends which will have an impact on our current business.
- Support our business development projects as required and provide potential new business leads to developers.
- Build knowledge and skills (external communication and influence) with the Senior Management team to build their capabilities.
- Contribute to effective communication by listening and providing constructive feedback; supporting the creation of an open and honest work environment; cascading and sharing knowledge and information.
Knowledge / Skills
- Infrastructure experience preferably within the water/waste-water utility sector
- Financial and commercial acumen
- Financial modeling
- Legal aspects of the regulatory environment
- Must be knowledgeable of the federal, local and state government and legislative processes
- Must possess an excellent working knowledge of the legislative process at all levels, and understand the hierarchy of government officials so the company has access to the right people, at the right time, in the right departments, for the right purpose
- Has a thorough understanding of PAC laws, Election Law Enforcement Laws (ELEC) for the state, where applicable, and a knowledge of the various reporting requirements
- Demonstrated ability to testify before legislative audiences and knows when and how to bring senior management and other departments into the process so that political officials have the benefit of the full expertise of the company
- Must know how to access information and gain knowledge of issues in the business arena, as well as in the political arena, that may impact the company
Building Effective Teams
Hiring and Staffing
Experience / Education
- Minimum 5 years experience in business development.
- Government Relations or lobbying experience required.
- Bachelors’ degree required (Engineering, Science, Business, Finance, Communications or Marketing preferred).
Indoor office environment
Up to 25% travel.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2019-01-28