Sr. Manager, Media Relations & Sustainability Communications
At Henkel, you can make a difference and craft your career. That’s why you own your projects and take full responsibility from an early stage. Our unique brands in markets around the world open up countless opportunities to follow your convictions and explore new paths. If you have an entrepreneurial mindset that allows you to always think out of the box – take the chance and shape the digital future together with us.
The Sr. Manager is a leadership role on the Henkel North America (Henkel NA) Communication Team with responsibility for two significant areas of work that are critical pillars to building Henkel NA’s overall awareness and reputation, which is a priority focus of the North American executive team. Those two areas are: 1) Developing, implementing and managing annual strategic communication plans for Henkel’s Sustainability efforts in the region and, as well as those across all three business units (Adhesive Technologies, Beauty Care, and Laundry and Home Care) and functions; 2) Leading the company’s Media Relations strategy and activities. In this capacity, the individual has responsibility for creating and managing plans, on behalf of the company and all its businesses and functions, both proactively and reactively, including in times of crisis, collaborating with key leaders across the businesses and with the global media relations team.
- Serves as Key Account Manager (KAM) for sustainability communication for Henkel North America, effectively partnering with the global sustainability management, communications and business teams, significantly amplifying the corporate sustainability story across the region for all three businesses
- Develop and deploy best practices in media relations to various internal audiences at all levels and functions, to measurably upgrade Henkel’s sustainability reputation
- Oversee development and implementation of NA media policy and conduct routine media training for executives as well as brand PR staff to improve overall media relations activities across the region
- Serve as media relations subject matter expert, providing messaging, monitoring and reporting support for crisis and issues management, in partnership with KAMs
- Leverage and integrate key corporate messaging into media messaging and ensure key executives are trained in using the key messaging and local examples in press settings
- Build relationships with key trade and local media across the region, partnering with Public Affairs and Supply Chain/ Operations communication for local press strategies at priority manufacturing site communities;
- Effectively lead top tier press engagement across business media and increase coverage of message house topics in targeted local trade and top tier media
- Oversee media monitoring and analysis and provide regular summaries for NA Executive Team and other leaders to improve understanding of key industry news and trends as well as Henkel reputation and impact of its product brand communications on corporate perception
- Effectively manage external agency partner media and sustainability relations scope and spend, support and direction
- Develop and distribute press releases, develop media briefs, Q&A messaging, media fact sheets
- Prepare leaders for press interactions and public relations activities including public speaking events, media-facing government affairs activities, press interviews
- Serve as an integral part of the external communications team in the region, effectively partnering with colleagues to build, execute and continually refine external communications plan, as well as collaborating with internal communications team to ensure integration/alignment between internal & external communications
- Establish strong working relationships with key cross-functional Sustainability stakeholders and global media relations colleagues
- Bachelors in Communications or related discipline; MBA preferred.
- Proven track record of increasing corporate reputation with measurable results
- Minimum of 10 years of progressive and successful communication and media relations experience, including solid experience in sustainability communications, with established expertise in development of key media relations communications, such as press release, media messaging and pitch development
- Established experience and expertise developing and managing all elements of media relations, including: strategy, planning, key message development, proactive outreach and reactive responding to reporters/editors, media training, and reporting
- Minimum 5-7 years media agency management
- Superior writing skills, strong analytical, negotiation, organization, prioritization, and presentation skills; general business management knowledge
- Prior experience influencing and collaborating with global and cross-functional colleagues, at junior, mid and senior management level
- Collaborative, team-player, comfortable in fast-paced environment, spanning different time zone
- Highly-organized, with demonstrated ability to multi-task effectively, be flexible to changing needs, and resilient under pressure
- Proven ability to drive change, challenge the status-quo, and creatively deliver results within a global organization
- Advanced working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel & PowerPoint, and preferably media and social media monitoring tools, and proven ability to leverage this knowledge to develop and effectively communicate presentations to various audience groups
Henkel is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, veteran status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, and other legally protected characteristics.
Henkel does not accept unsolicited resumes from search firms or employment agencies. Unsolicited referrals and resumes are considered Henkel property and therefore, Henkel will not pay a fee for any placement resulting from the receipt of an unsolicited referral. At Henkel’s request only, preferred vendors may be invited to refer talent for specific open positions. In these cases, a fully-executed agreement with Henkel must be in place and current.
All employees applying for an internal position must have a discussion with his/her manager about their interest in a job posting opportunity. The discussion will not preclude the employee from interviewing if their skills meet the job requirements.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-03-21