Sr. Manager, Policy Communications
The (Senior) Manager, Policy Communications, is responsible for managing strategic communications in support of Amazon’s public policy goals. The ideal candidate will have a proven record of delivering results on a range of high profile policy issues for a complex company or organization. She/he will be able to build and execute successful communications campaigns related to public policy, deftly manage inbound inquiries on a range of subjects, and drive awareness among key media and influencers of Amazon’s positive impact on customers and the communities where we operate. The role is based in Washington, D.C.
Core Job Responsibilities:
· Develop and manage a broad range of external communications programs and events in support of Amazon’s policy goals;
· Establish and foster local, regional and national media relationships by serving as a trusted source and educator about Amazon;
· Seek out and/or create opportunities to further Amazon’s public engagement on public policy issues;
· Deliver communications counsel to Amazon executives on both short- and long-term challenges and opportunities, earning trust with executives across many parts of Amazon’s business;
· Drive issues management programs with a policy component and serve as key communications counselor on crisis issues; and
· Prepare Amazon executives to serve as spokespeople.
Proven ability, willingness, and desire to:
· Exercise extremely high judgment and standards, particularly in narrow time-frames;
· Think and communicate clearly – formulate a clear point of view on complicated issues and create a concise and well-written narrative to express it;
· Work hard and smart;
· Develop creative, effective approaches to difficult communications challenges;
· Deal with ambiguity – form a cohesive and effective outcome from potentially incongruous facts (or lack thereof) and individual perspectives;
· Roll up sleeves and get work done, even when at times it’s outside the scope of the job; and
· Attention to important details.
· Bachelor’s degree and 10+ years of public relations experience
· Communications experience with public policy issues in technology and/or government
· Experience serving as a spokesperson on complex issues
· Excellent writing skills
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity Employer – Minority / Women / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation / Age.
· Advanced degree, such as a JD or Master’s degree
· Ability to dive deep on public policy issues
· Experience working with the Washington DC-based press corps
Learn more here
Job posted: 2019-07-24