Sr. Manager State/Local Government Relations
The Senior Manager Government Relations will represent and advance The Home Depot’s government relations agenda before elected officials and government decision-makers primarily at the state and local levels. Prepares an annual action plan identifying key government relations objectives and priorities at the state and local levels that will create shareholder value.
MAJOR TASKS, RESPONSIBILITIES AND KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES
- Manage, develop and implement government relations strategies and legislative agenda at the state and local level.
- Primarily responsible for a select region of the U.S. and within that region will serve as the company’s primary point of contact for Governors, Lt. Governors, Attorney Generals, state legislative leaders, mayors, county boards and other state and local officials.
- Responsible for managing and developing strategy, recommending and leveraging political contributions, organizing store walks and community events with state and local officials.
- Responsible for following all election laws and to enforce compliance and reporting by team.
- Manage state and local legislative and regulatory agenda including tracking legislation at the state and local level.
- Responsible for working with internal business partners to develop positions and communicating views to state and local officials.
- Manage outside consultants, retail associations, and partnerships with national public policy and legislative groups.
- Develop and manage budget for multi-state region that includes dues and subscriptions, travel, contributions and consulting/professional fees.
- Develop and maintain relationships with Home Depot internal departments and executives to identify operational issues requiring legislative action.
- Write updates for weekly newsletters, position papers, grassroots alerts, and issue summaries for internal and external audiences.
NATURE AND SCOPE:
- Typically reports to Senior Director Government Relations.
- Responsible for helping others and providing on-the-job training or guidance
ENVIRONMENTAL JOB REQUIREMENTS
- Located in a comfortable indoor area. Any unpleasant conditions would be infrequent and not objectionable.
- Typically requires overnight travel 20% to 50% of the time.
- Must be eighteen years of age or older.
- Must be legally permitted to work in the United States.
The knowledge, skills and abilities typically acquired through the completion of a bachelor’s degree program or equivalent degree in a field of study related to the job.
Years Of Relevant Work Experience: 7 – 10 years
Physical Job Requirements:
- Most of the time is spent sitting in a comfortable position and there is frequent opportunity to move about.
- On rare occasions there may be a need to move or lift light articles.
- Must have experience working in government relations, public affairs, lobbying or on Capitol Hill or state legislature/Governor’s office.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES AND COMPETENCIES
- Must possess superior written and oral communications skills.
- Excellent presentation skills required.
- Exceptional judgment and ability to function and multi-task under pressure.
- Extensive travel expected.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2018-11-08