Sr Mgr Government Relations & Policy
Members of the VMware Global Government Relations and Public Policy work with a small, high-caliber team to connect all levels of government to VMware’s business goals. The work of the Global Government Relations team is to contribute to the success of VMware and the positive profile of its Executive Staff.
Our team practices a collaborative, creative, results-oriented approach. We are a small team that likes to “punch above its weight.” Under the direction of the General Counsel, team members also have the opportunity to work with and advise VMware executives, elected officials, and policy makers.
VMware Global Government Relations team members handle, prioritize, and follow through on numerous projects simultaneously. This provides an excellent context to learn the many aspects of VMware’s complex business as well as a great opportunity to interact with interesting colleagues and important government officials.
The Senior Manager Government Relations & Policy will be responsible for assisting in developing and executing a consistent policy strategy to advance VMware’s policy and growth goals for States and local governments. The goals of the program are to expand VMware’s thought leadership and influence in policy matters at the state and local level and drive opportunities for the state, local and education sales team. This will include identifying and influencing policies and appropriations that impact VMware’s existing and emerging products, VMware’s sales, IT implementation, and VMware’s overall reputation with state and local governments.
The focus of this position is to identify and assess current and emerging opportunities that impact: IT procurement, the software defined data center, network security, cloud computing, and end-user computing. The Senior Manager Government Relations & Policy will assist the government relations team by effectively educating government policymakers on these issues as related to VMware’s business goals.
The Senior Manager Government Relations & Policy will work closely with the VMware state, local, and education (SLED) sales teams to identify policy opportunities, align with sales strategy and facilitate high-level meetings between VMware executives and key stakeholders including policymakers, governors, mayors, IT leaders, regulatory agencies, and industry associations to promote and advocate the company’s objectives. The Senior Manager Government Relations & Policy will also staff appropriate opportunities with trade associations, and assist in management of outside consultants.
Strong understanding of state and local government policy and budgeting is necessary. Relationships with key policy and decision makers are critical as state and local governments create oversight and set standards for their own data centers, for entities that do business with the 50 U.S. States, and guidelines for the private sector. The ability to engage at a high level on these issues is required.
The Senior Manager Government Relations & Policy will report to the Director, State and Local Government Relations with title and salary being commensurate with experience.
- Government Relations: work with the VMware government relations and SLED sales team and consultants to best position VMware in the marketplace
- U.S. State Policy and Government Relations Strategy Development: assist in developing and executing VMware Government Relations efforts in state, local, and education (SLED) activities with an emphasis on the Eastern U.S. States
- Policy Advocacy: advocate on all levels of state and local government including state legislatures, Governors’ administrative offices, as well as select local government entities
- Collaboration: collaborate with internal VMware government relations and sales teams, manage state-based consultants, and work with trade associations and other memberships and influencers on state and local strategy and policy
- Innovation in Everything: willingness to try new and unconventional strategies to best impact policy while enabling VMware’s core business priorities
- Lead VMware’s policy positioning for state and local government, with special focus on enabling VMware core business, including state, local, and education public sector sales/procurement activities
- Create thought leadership opportunities for VMware and its executives
- Maintain a clear understanding of business objectives and priorities through active involvement with key management to assure appropriate linkage of business strategies and governmental issues
- Consolidate government issues and matters into a comprehensive government outreach strategy and lead the execution of that strategy
- Track, analyze and report out on bills and legislative trends in the US states that impact VMware’s existing and emerging businesses – including issues such as cybersecurity, cloud computing, Internet of Things and blockchain
- Develop, coordinate and maintain relationships and contacts with government regulatory agencies, government departments, governmental leaders to enhance favorable governmental relationships and reputation for VMware
- Set and accomplish aggressive government relations goals and establish positive relationships with business stakeholders
- Assist in managing outside consultants, trade association staff and relationships with DGA, RGA and NGA.
- Help enable VMware’s compliance with all relevant regulations and requirements
- Identify key decision-makers and influencers with government and promote corporate positions with those audiences both in person and in writing
- Produce targeted supporting materials such as correspondence, briefing notes, submissions and presentations in support of issues, proposed legislation, projects or to enhance VMware’s reputation
- Coordinate meetings with government and elected officials
- Aid in negotiation and coordination with key regional business partners
- Make presentations to government officials, and coordinate host site tours for government officials
- Monitor emerging public policy, legislative, regulatory and political issues that could impact the organization and work with appropriate internal and external stakeholders to proactively develop or recommend actions
- Draft and coordinate the approval of correspondence, presentations and formal policy submissions to government officials (elected and non-elected)
- Contribute to the development and maintenance of a corporate government relations database containing all current and relevant issues and contacts
- Successfully advocate for policy which enables our business, our employees, and our customers
- Maintain the highest integrity and ethical standards
- Other duties and special projects as assigned
- Minimum 5-10 years of relevant experience
- Extensive, first-hand experience in a combination of roles including working inside state and local government (e.g. governor/mayor/legislature) and in corporate government relations, and/or with an association
- Direct knowledge of government and education structure and functions
- Experience in successful government engagement on both policy and procurement
- Experience presenting complex issues and opportunities to high-level officials and third-party partners
- Sound judgement, diplomacy, and the ability to liaise confidently, effectively and positively with internal and government stakeholders
- Sense of urgency, agility, transparency, respect and collaboration in a team setting
- Excellent communication skills – both written and oral
- Ability to think and act both strategically and creatively
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize and work under tight deadlines on multiple initiatives
- Passionate about government service and the role of government in society
- Self-starter and team player who can set aggressive and achievable goals
- Ability to take complicated technical concepts and relate them to effective policy work
- Flexibility for work-related travel
- Relevant university degree required; Master’s degree preferred
This job opportunity is not eligible for employment-based immigration sponsorship by VMware.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-04-28