Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Sr Public Affairs Representative – Public Policy Communications
Your Work Shapes the World
Whether it be groundbreaking products, best in class solutions or creating a lifelong career, you can do the work that matters at Caterpillar. With a 95-year legacy of quality and innovation and 150 locations in countries around the world, your impact spans the globe.
When you join Caterpillar, you are joining a team of makers, innovators and doers. We are the people who roll up our sleeves and do the work to build a better world. We don’t just talk about progress and innovation. We make it happen. And we are proud of that because it helps our customers build and power the world we live in – the roads, hospitals, homes and infrastructure. Without a dedicated workforce Caterpillar could not effectively meet our customer’s needs.
Sr. Public Affairs Representative – Job Description
As a public affairs communicator, this position provides policy communications support for Caterpillar’s global government affairs team as well as other key stakeholders throughout the company. This includes developing and supporting integrated communications, including advocacy and media relations duties, for external and internal audiences focused on achieving the enterprise’s policy-related priorities. A firm grasp on the activities, processes and procedures of policy formation is a critical skill set for success in this role.
The role is part of the Corporate Media and Public Affairs team, a global communications team focused on reinforcing Caterpillar’s strategy and enhancing the company’s reputation with investors, customers and other external stakeholders. The position is located in Washington, DC. The position manages the completion of its own work assignments, which are reviewed after completion.
Job Duties/Responsibilities may include, but are not limited to:
- Collaborate with subject matter experts on the business and state, federal and international government affairs teams to develop, update and execute communications to support Caterpillar’s global policy priorities that support the corporate strategy. Elements include developing messaging and maintaining content for internal and external communications including leader talking points, public speaking opportunities, employee campaigns, event support, etc.
- Develop, maintain and support government affairs website content that connects to Caterpillar’s key policy issues.
- Develop regular reports on key policy issues for executive leadership.
- Support relationships with diverse internal and external stakeholders to aid the work of the team, including policy makers’ and trade associations’ communications staff, PR agencies and media contacts.
- Support media relations duties when needed including preparing executive policy briefing materials, pitching stories, fact checking with editors and reporters, supporting events and executive visits to Washington D.C., and drafting press release and statements, including PAC-related inquiries.
- Support media relations duties for internal business portfolios as needed.
- Stay connected to media coverage of topical issues in Caterpillar industries to advise leaders on the pulse of conversations; leverage and amplify Caterpillar messaging with policy makers and trade associations.
- Conduct research for relevant topics and stay current on company and industry initiatives.
- Contribute to metrics tracking to communicate impact of public policy communications.
- Perform other related communications duties as assigned.
The position requires a college or university degree in marketing, communications, a related field or equivalent experience. In addition, at least seven years of progressively responsible job-related experience in communications is required in one of the following areas: Congressional, Administration, industry and trade association, or corporate policy communications. Established networks in Washington D.C. are also required. The position requires a person who is process oriented with excellent interpersonal skills.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Excellent proofreading and editing skills
- Strong writing skills and experience
- Strong organizational skills
- PowerPoint design
- Email Marketing (e.g. Poppulo)
This employer is not currently hiring foreign national applicants that require or will require sponsorship tied to a specific employer, such as H, L, TN, F, J, E, O. As a global company, Caterpillar offers many job opportunities outside of the U.S. which can be found through our employment website at www.Caterpillar.com/Careers.
Employee benefit details:
Our goal at Caterpillar is for you to have a rewarding career. Our teams are critical to the success of our customers who build a better world.
Here you earn more than just an hourly wage, because we value your performance, we offer a total rewards package that provides day one benefits (medical, dental, vision, RX, and 401K) along with the potential of a monthly bonus.
Additional benefits include paid vacation days and paid holidays (prorated based upon hire date).
Please frequently check the email associated with your application, including the junk/spam folder, as this is the primary correspondence method. If you wish to know the status of your application – please use the candidate log-in on our career website as it will reflect any updates to your status.
Learn more here
EEO/AA Employer. All qualified individuals – Including minorities, females, veterans and individuals with disabilities – are encouraged to apply.
Job posted: 2022-11-06