Sr. Public Relations Specialist
EmblemHealth, one of the nation’s largest non-profit health insurers, is seeking a Sr. Public Relations Specialist who is a dynamic writer, a natural networker and proven campaign and project manager. Reporting to the Public Relations Director, you will join a team of creative and innovative storytellers—social media strategists, event marketers, videographers and more—working to elevate EmblemHealth and AdvantageCare Physicians’ brands through earned and owned content.
The Sr. PR Specialist will specialize in one of two “beats”/specialty areas:
- Health Insurance, Policy and Community: EmblemHealth not only provides quality, affordable coverage to one in three New Yorkers—we also have an 80-year legacy of serving the community with local resources and grassroots partnerships. This beat covers everything from thought leadership on health policy to partnering with elected officials to promote community outreach initiatives.
- Health, Wellness and Clinical: Health is more important than ever—and it’s being featured everywhere in the media right now. This beat will partner with a team of clinical experts to showcase EmblemHealth and AdvantageCare Physicians’ medical expertise and population health strategy, from white papers to on-air segments breaking down key health topics.
Earned Media & Editorial
- Drafts and distributes public relations materials, including press releases, media prep, positioning papers, blog posts, executive-bylined articles, talking points, speeches, letters to the editor and scripts.
- Proactively pursue stories that differentiate EmblemHealth and AdvantageCarePhysicians, mining publications, internal subject matter experts, research, and other resources.
- Responds to daily media questions or requests for interviews. Coordinates media interviews and prepares spokespeople for appearances and rapid response statements.
- Develop creative strategies and tactics to amplify EmblemHealth’s earned strategy, including podcasts, influencer partnerships, online publishing platforms, awards and recognitions and paid opportunities.
- Foster strong relationships with local and national reporters and proactively pitch stories.
- Identify and maintain relationships with elected officials, key clients, union leadership, bloggers and other influencers.
- Collaborate with EmblemHealth’s in-house creative and videography teams to develop content showcasing EmblemHealth’s and its family of companies’ thought leadership.
- Provide live social media and blog coverage of conferences and executive-level events in partnership with EmblemHealth’s Social Media Team.
- Establish a stable of media-trained internal subject matter experts for conferences, speaking opportunities and live interviews.
- Develop and implement communications strategies to protect and enhance EmblemHealth and AdvantageCare Physicians’ brand reputations during and in anticipation of crisis situations.
- Triage and respond to media inquiries during and outside of business hours.
- Coordinate across executive leadership, Legal and Human Resources and other key partners to coordinate crisis response.
Project Management & Training
- Lead press trainings for EmblemHealth spokespeople.
- Partner with EmblemHealth’s Social Media Team to conduct LinkedIn audits and trainings.
- Develop and maintain paid, owned and earned editorial calendars and reports, including for EmblemHealth’s blog and Medium account.
- Provide proactive, hands-on support at corporate and community events where there is a media presence.
- Act as spokesperson and liaise with press on various media inquiries and media events.
- B.A. or B.S in journalism, public relations, or communication
- 5-7 years of experience in public or media relations.
- Familiarity with the New York press corps.
- Experience in developing issue-based communications.
- Health care and public affairs experience/knowledge a strong plus.
- Keen awareness and interest in current events, news and popular culture.
- Spanish or other secondary language proficiency a plus.
- Experience building profiles of organizations and its leaders through earned and owned media, including press releases, op-eds, remarks, social media and blog content.
- Demonstrated ability to navigate and thrive in a fast-paced media environment, including unpredictable hours and crisis situations.
- Demonstrated ability to manage through influence with professionalism and poise.
- Candidates should feel comfortable building and executing communications strategies, managing projects and building one-on-one relationships with business leaders to implement strategies.
- Passionate about mission-driven brands and storytelling.
We are committed to leveraging the diverse backgrounds, perspectives and experiences of our workforce to create opportunities for our people and our business. We are an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Depending on factors such as business unit requirements, the nature of the position, cost and applicable laws and regulations, EmblemHealth may provide work visa sponsorship for certain positions.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-12-23