Sr. Specialist, State Policy & Advocacy- Northeast
Serve as subject matter expert, supporting and promoting Susan G. Komen’s public policy & advocacy initiatives related to breast cancer and public health policy in the Northeast Region (Connecticut, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, Virginia and West Virginia). The individual in the position will also lead the development and execution of Komen’s Speak Truth to Power training, an initiative to expand and empower African-American breast cancer advocates.
Empowered by our expansive grassroots network, Komen is leading the fight for those impacted by breast cancer in state Capitols across the country. Komen works to identify, through a transparent and broad-based, intensive vetting and selection process, the advocacy issues that have the greatest potential impact on Komen’s mission.
The Sr. Specialist leads the development, strategy and execution of state advocacy campaigns working towards achieving Komen’s Bold Goal; works to build statewide policy collaboratives, tracks, reviews and evaluates state legislation, monitors state budget climate and state breast health programs, and reviews, evaluates, reports on state legislative efforts. This incumbent consults with and coach Komen Affiliates or field office staff and leadership, as well as local volunteers, on capacity building for advocacy and grassroots mobilization. The Sr. Specialist is a member of a team primarily headquartered in Dallas, TX.
- Provide day-to-day support for the northeast region state advocacy activities.
- Serve as subject matter expert for public policy and advocacy efforts in the northeast region.
- Lead the development, planning and execution of Speak Truth to Power: Advocating to Achieve Health Equity.
- Develop messaging and resource materials for state advocacy campaigns.
- Oversee recruitment, engagement and retention of local volunteers for continues involvement in state and federal public policy & advocacy activities.
- Identify, recruit and train individuals willing to share their experiences with decision makers and the media in support of state advocacy campaigns.
- Develop state focused action alerts and online engagement opportunities.
- Organizes public events demonstrating grassroots and organizational support (e.g. lobby days, rallies, issue briefing, grantee site visits).
- Work to build statewide policy collaboratives, develop and execute strategic plans for state-level advocacy campaigns.
- Develop and deploy state-specific advocacy strategies in support of Komen’s Advocacy Priorities.
- Recruit and implement advocacy structures in the southeast region including the development and management of statewide policy collaboratives.
- Create partnerships with other patient advocacy organizations, healthcare associations and industry partners to identify areas for collaboration.
- Lead/participate in coalitions with similar objectives to enhance effectiveness of advocacy campaigns
- Track, review and evaluate state legislation. Monitor state budget climate and state breast health programs. Review, evaluate and report on state legislative efforts.
- Represent Komen Public Policy & Advocacy externally with legislative offices, state government, stakeholders, media, donors and Affiliates.
- Promote an organizational culture that values trust, commitment to the mission, scientific integrity, and professional and organizational growth.
Minimum Experience Required
• Some college with 3–5 years of directly related experience and located in the Northeast
• Must have solid organizational skills and intermediate-level proficiency with MS Office products.
• Proven ability to compile, analyze and interpret data and figures is needed.
• Requires excellent written and verbal communications skills, plus the ability to perform Internet research.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2019-02-19