Sr State Advocacy and Policy Analyst
We are seeking to fill a Senior State Advocacy and Policy Analyst position with candidate who has at least five years of experience in K-12 education, postsecondary education and/or workforce development to help us fulfill our mission of helping people achieve education and workplace success. This is a remote position that can be located anywhere in the US.
The Senior State Advocacy and Policy Analyst plays a key role in advancing ACT’s status as a thought leader and encourages the adoption and use of ACT programs and services by providing expertise in national K-12 education policy, deep understanding of ACT test content and design, and effective communication with state representatives and educators. To make policy recommendations and updates for audiences including ACT leadership; federal, state, and local policymakers; customers; and the general public.
What you will be working on:
- Lead a cross-functional team to support states using ACT assessments for federal accountability purposes; communicate effectively with state representatives.
- Support revenue-generating and/or -maintaining goals in the United States by providing analysis for government relations and other staff as needed; contribute writing to proposals and pro-ACT legislation
- Lead cross-functional teams in the design, development, and dissemination of reports that benefit state education policy
- Analyze federal and state educational and workforce issues, including state assessment trends and accountability plans, both proactively and as they surface; evaluate their significance to ACT using deep knowledge of the organization, the content and design of its assessments, and its goals; and report their impact to ACT management and staff with relevant recommendations.
- Inform state sales plans/strategy through policy analysis and provides customer facing activities related to federal accountability with state departments using ACT products for the purpose of federal accountability.
- Write blog posts, letters, memos, slide decks, and other materials on issues pertaining to education and workforce policy and ACT in order to expand the organization’s visibility, reputation, and thought leadership.
- Represent ACT at meetings of educational and workforce associations on topics of significance to ACT and its stakeholders.
- Manage initiatives that further ACT’s thought leadership in states
This could be the job for you if you have (minimum requirements):
- Keen understanding of national and state education and workforce issues influencing ACT stakeholders, and insight into best solutions
- Knowledge of national education and workforce policy landscape, including deep familiarity with state achievement standards and alignment
- Strong organizational skills and ability to manage teams to tight timelines and deadlines
- Ability to determine strategy and apply logical solutions to complex problems
- Ability to think “outside the box” and see the big picture while maintaining careful attention to detail
- Ability to work effectively, collaboratively and to build strong relationships with both internal and external stakeholders
- Ability to tackle and adapt to organizational priorities and needs as they evolve
- Excellent attention to detail and a commitment to producing the highest-quality work
- Bachelor’s degree in public policy, political science or a related area or an equivalent combination of education and experience from which comparable knowledge and abilities can be acquired
It’s a plus if you have:
- Understanding of federal and state policy
- Highly desired: Strong communication skills – both verbal and written – with an emphasis on succinct and persuasive message delivery when speaking to customers, and drafting memos, slide decks, issue briefs, proposals, and other materials as needed
Your Work Makes a Difference
ACT team members are part of an organization dedicated to an important mission: Helping people achieve education and workplace success.
Everything we do contributes to this mission, including team member events, professional development resources, community outreach opportunities and solid benefit offerings. Helping team members achieve education and workplace success of their own advances the ACT mission on a daily basis.
This position is part of a team that owns the state sales, policy, and government relations for the organization with over $70M in revenue. We are very collaborative, customer focused, and have strong relationships throughout our states.
Learning is the Future – About ACT
When ACT was founded in 1959, it disrupted the assessment industry with a new approach to helping students better understand their readiness so they could take steps to improve it. By leveraging our expertise and authority in assessment and research, we will again disrupt the industry—helping more people learn, better measure their progress, and improve their navigation through life’s transitions.
More than ever before, ACT is fulfilling its mission of helping people achieve education and workplace success. We’re doing it by pushing the boundaries of learning innovation through the work of our people, who we call team members because we’re all in this together.
We know transformation does not come without challenge. That’s why ACT invests in a variety of experiences for team members to strengthen their connections, explore ideas, learn from customers, and celebrate success.
Learn more about working at ACT at act.org!
Completion of the ACT National Career Readiness Certificate is recommended. Find a testing site near you to register for the WorkKeys assessments. Finalists for this position will be subject to a criminal background check as a condition of employment.
ACT is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. ACT values diversity in people and ideas and participates in E-verify. ACT’s online position announcements are intended only to provide general descriptions of employment opportunities; none of the information provided for any position should be interpreted as a commitment by ACT to specific terms and conditions for employment.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-10-27