State Advocacy Manager – Community Benefit & Economic Stability
Community Catalyst, a national advocacy organization, has been giving consumers a voice in health care reform for more than a decade. We provide leadership and support to state and local consumer organizations, policymakers and foundations that are working to guarantee access to high-quality, affordable health care for everyone. Our contributions, which range from policy analysis and strategic assistance to managing national campaigns, enable consumer groups to provide leadership in the hard work of transforming the U.S. health care system. Since 1997, in states and communities across the country, we have been a catalyst for collaboration, innovation, and action in health care reform. Additional information about Community Catalyst can be found at www.communitycatalyst.org
The State Advocacy Manager (SAM) handles relationships with state-based advocacy organizations throughout the country, providing technical assistance using Community Catalyst’s six capacities to consumer advocates, providers and policymakers.
The position is within Community Catalyst’s Center for Consumer Engagement in Health Innovation. The Community Benefit and Economic Stability Project is a new project that will support state and local consumer advocacy groups in 3-4 states in working effectively with hospitals and health systems to establish consumer–friendly hospital financial assistance, billing and collection policies and practices that promote health equity and economic stability among historically excluded groups and low income populations. The SAM will work with multiple organizations in these states to build consumer leadership skills and strengthen the organized consumer voice to shape relevant policies at the state and local levels. This position will also help to facilitate a learning community with advocates to inform related state and national policies.
The SAM will be an integral member of the Community Benefit and Economic Stability Project team, in addition to participating in a broader team of SAMs within the Center and Community Catalyst.
The State Advocacy Manager will be supervised by the Community Benefit and Economic Stability Project Director.
- Manages day-to-day relationships with state and local partner organizations from 3-4 states, including developing workplans, administering grants and monitoring compliance with program requirements.
- Offers timely, efficient, tailored technical assistance to state and local partner organizations, drawing on other Center and Community Catalyst staff members as needed. This will include help with:
- coalition-building, including partnerships with groups work on financial strengthening,
- grassroots education and outreach
- strategic communications
- generating resources, including funding
- policy analysis
- tracking and evaluation of progress
- Coordinates with other Center and Community Catalyst program staff to maintain up-to-date knowledge of local, state and federal community benefit and collection policy initiatives and advocacy strategies used in other states in order to identify potential issues and opportunities for state partners.
- Facilitates a learning community among local and state advocates interested in advancing consumer-friendly hospital assistance, billing and collection practices.
- Actively participates as a member of the project team, assisting with program planning, design and proposal development.
- Facilitates the integration of Center and Community Catalyst federal and state campaign activities, including organizing, communications and products, where appropriate.
- Works closely with the team in order to maintain a clearinghouse on relevant state and federal policy initiatives, advocacy strategies and efforts to advance health equity.
- As necessary, works with state partners on organizational development to increase their effectiveness as it may relate to staffing, fundraising and/or planning.
- Other responsibilities as assigned.
- Bachelor’s plus 3 years, or Master’s plus 2 years, or 5 years of relevant work experience
- Health policy and/or health care delivery system knowledge
- Commitment to social justice and experience in social change activism such as: legislative advocacy or political/policy issue campaigns; community organizing; working with coalitions and stakeholders; and/or implementing communications strategies
- Proven skills in leadership, relationship development, collaboration, and team building
- Strong written and verbal communications skills, including experience with public speaking, training, facilitating, and/or coaching
- Ability to convey complex information in writing and speaking so that it is easily understood by the general public
- Strong organizational skills, including an ability to manage several projects at once and respond to tight timelines
- Experience with working independently in a collaborative team environment
- Ability to travel
- Bilingual/bicultural background highly desirable
- Experience conducting health policy research and analysis
- Ability to travel
BENEFITS & SALARY
- Competitive salarySalary Range: $55,167-$62,300
- Generous paid time off policy
- Robust benefits package
- Convenient downtown Boston location
Applicants should submit a resume with a one page cover letter briefly summarizing their interest in and qualifications for the position to: email@example.com. Please put “State Advocacy Manager– Community Benefit & Economic Stability Project” in the subject line.
Community Catalyst seeks a broad spectrum of qualified employees and is strongly committed to a diverse, equitable and family- friendly work environment.
We do not discriminate in hiring based on age, color, ethnicity, race, national origin, primary language, religion, economic status, family status, mental and physical disabilities, veteran status, gender identity and expression, sex, or sexual orientation.
Through all our programs, Community Catalyst works to advance health equity, focusing on people of color and immigrants, as well as disability, gender, sexual identity and socio-economic status. We strive for our staff to reflect the diverse communities with which we work.
Job posted: 2020-07-15