State Communications Lead
Serve as communications lead for API Ohio. Work with API Ohio and API headquarters to research, write, and distribute materials for use by external and internal audiences to promote API’s public messages and missions. Engage with the media to promote the benefits of and defend the natural gas and oil industry, assist member company representatives with public relations issues as they arise. Find and promote opportunities to deliver API messages to strategic audiences by leveraging API’s communications assets through earned and paid media. Engage and work with third parties, non-traditional and traditional allies to promote API’s strategic initiatives.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Develop public statements, talking points, social media content, testimony, strategic communications plans, and other advocacy materials as needed to promote API Ohio’s strategic initiatives.
• Assist in rapid response efforts to ensure API’s message is part of the issue conversation.
• Provide strategic counsel for communicating with the public and with policymakers.
• Assist in preparing spokespeople for interviews and appearances.
• Provide media relations counsel to API Ohio and API headquarters as needed.
• Develop issue management strategies and approaches to help meet communications objectives.
• Engage and work with grassroots organizations, coalitions, allied trade associations, non-traditional allies, etc. to promote API’s strategic initiatives.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITY AND KEY RELATIONSHIPS
Maintain and build rapport with media contacts, general public and member company representatives in order to advance API’s communications goals.
SKILLS, EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATION
• 7+ years of communications experience
• Outstanding writing/editing skills with excellent organizational and interpersonal skills
• Considerable knowledge of policy issues, state government affairs, Congress, the Executive Branch, and political debates
• Talent for distilling complex issues into understandable, relevant messages
• Ability to work on a variety of topics under tight deadlines
• Ability to provide informed media counsel
• Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications, or relevant field
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-01-06