State Director, Policy & Advocacy
UnidosUS, previously known as NCLR (National Council of La Raza), is the nation’s largest
Hispanic civil rights and advocacy organization. Through its unique combination of expert
research, advocacy, programs, and an Affiliate Network of nearly 300 community-based
organizations across the United States and Puerto Rico, UnidosUS simultaneously challenges
the social, economic, and political barriers that affect Latinos at the national and local levels.
For more than 50 years, UnidosUS has united communities and different groups seeking
common ground through collaboration, and that share a desire to make our community
stronger. For more information on UnidosUS, visit www.unidosus.org or follow us on Facebook,
Instagram, and Twitter.
The Policy and Advocacy State Director is housed in UnidosUS’s Policy and Advocacy
department. UnidosUS’s Policy and Advocacy department is one of the most influential and
visible national advocacy think tanks championing public policy on behalf of Latinos. UnidosUS’s
policy and advocacy work in the states leverages policy and program expertise,
communications and polling, Affiliate and voter engagement, and core elements of
policymaking to achieve transformational social policy change nationally and at the state level.
UnidosUS is seeking a State Director in California who will lead, manage, and execute efforts to
advance UnidosUS’s state and state-federal policy agenda, including issue and electoral
campaigns. In addition, the Director will work with and maintain strong relationships with
allies, stakeholders, policymakers, UnidosUS Affiliate leaders, and others to influence state
policy agendas and advance the organization’s policy goals.
UnidosUS’s national policy agenda includes education, health, economic empowerment, and
immigration/civil rights policies and work to expand Latino civic participation. State policy
efforts will focus on a mix of these areas.
This position will work collaboratively with various UnidosUS teams across the institution and
with staff and Affiliate leaders in the state to build successful issue and voter engagement
campaigns. The Director will set strategies in collaboration with issue area directors and leads
and with the Legislative Affairs team.
The State Director will report to the Senior Vice President of Policy and Advocacy. This position
is based in Sacramento, California.
• Build high level relationships with state policymakers, represent UnidosUS in the state
capitol, and serve as a spokesperson on policy priorities.
• Track state legislative and agency activity, policy, and media developments on key issues, to
provide strategic advice in response to threats and opportunities to launch and scale
• Develop policy and advocacy agenda, set policy priorities, develop strategy and tactical
plans (including legislative, administrative, electoral, and other elements as appropriate) to
advance policy goals, in collaboration with component’s senior leadership.
• Carry out both state and national issue campaigns, working with multiple teams.
• Manage staff and consultants, and leveraging UnidosUS policy, program, and network
assets to achieve policy outcomes.
• Advance Latino issue priorities through communications, presentations, and earned and
• Build, sustain, and expand partnerships with UnidosUS Affiliate Network, state coalitions,
allies, and elected officials to advance policy priorities, and represent UnidosUS in those
• Collaborate with issue and communications teams to develop issue analyses, position
statements, talking points, and public information materials that energize Latino.
participation, elevate Latino issue priorities, and educate partners and policymakers.
• Organize policy/advocacy activities, including roundtables, town halls, and legislative visits,
and provide technical assistance and issue support to develop spokespeople.
• Identify and cultivate in-state funding opportunities and manage ongoing communications
with existing funders, including developing proposals, report submissions, and working to
identify and pursue new funders.
• Manage staff, consultants, and vendors.
• Bachelor’s degree required and master’s degree a plus.
• At least 10 years of experience developing and executing high-impact issue advocacy
campaigns, combining policy, legislative, field and communications strategies and tactics.
• Five (5) to eight (8) years of management experience required.
• Experience working in Sacramento and engaging with state policymakers a plus.
• Steadfast commitment to UnidosUS mission, vision, and values (Excellence, Respect,
• Familiarity and commitment with the U.S. Latino community, Latino nonprofit
organizations, and the Latino market a plus.
• Robust understanding of the Latino community, commitment to social justice and to
• Substantive knowledge of and ability to effectively maneuver the legislative and
policymaking process, and federal and state government structures (e.g.
legislative/administrative process, budget, state agencies, etc.) to advance policy goals.
• Excellent writing skills and ability to synthesize information and present it in a variety of
formats and styles (e.g., issue one-pagers, position letters, blog posts, op-eds, talking
• Excellent verbal communication skills and ability to represent UnidosUS effectively in
various settings (e.g., trainings, presentations, press conferences, interviews, and legislative
• Experience engaging a wide range of stakeholders (coalition partners, legislators and their
staff, media, foundations, business, and academics), working in coalitions, and building
• Ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously and thrive in a complex environment with
multiple priorities and tight deadlines, working both independently and as part of a team.
• Ability to self-start and manage up, as well as communicate effectively across multiple
teams and with multiple staff members in various locations around the country.
• Adapt information to the state level as appropriate and produce and present it in a variety
of formats and styles (e.g., issue one-pagers, position letters, blog posts, op-eds, talking
• Excellent Communication skills, both oral and written.
• Commitment to excellence and high standards.
• Ability to work independently and as a member of various teams and committees.
• Acute attention to detail.
• Bilingual (Spanish/English) skills a plus.
Employment with UnidosUS is contingent upon successful completion
of a background screen.
Please note: Only those applicants who submit a cover letter, résumé, and writing sample will
be considered for this opportunity.
SEND COVER LETTER, RÉSUMÉ, AND WRITING SAMPLE TO:
Subject Line: State Director, Policy & Advocacy (CA)
Attn: Eric Rodríguez, SVP, Policy & Advocacy
No phone calls please!
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. All qualified applicants will receive consideration without
regard to race, color, national origin, marital status, religion, gender, age, disability, sexual
orientation, gender identity or expression, personal appearance, family responsibilities, political
affiliation, or enrollment in a college, university, technical school, or adult education.
Job posted: 2021-03-09