Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
State External Affairs Manager
United States of Care (USofCare) is seeking a State External Affairs Manager to join its growing team. The mission of USofCare is to ensure that everyone has access to quality, affordable health care regardless of health status, social need, or income. A non-partisan non-profit, we are building and mobilizing a movement to achieve long-lasting solutions that make health care better for everyone. USofCare will help make this happen by working with people from across the country including patients, caregivers, advocates, physicians and other clinicians, policymakers, and business, civic, and religious leaders.
To achieve our people-centered mission, USofCare values and prioritizes inclusion and diverse perspectives on our staff. Seeking unity over uniformity, we pay attention to the unique interests, abilities, needs, and backgrounds of every employee. Applicants from diverse backgrounds and communities are strongly encouraged to apply.
The State External Affairs Manager will play a key role in developing state campaigns to further USofCare’s work and provide support on policy issues aimed at breaking down barriers to accessing high-quality and affordable health care. This includes legislative campaign development, advocacy, lobbying, coalition management, stakeholder education, research, and some policy analysis. The State External Affairs Manager must be familiar with health care policy issues and current affairs and must be able to think strategically about how USofCare can navigate the political landscape in any given state in order to advance USofCare’s objectives. The State External Affairs Manager may work on a variety of issue-specific campaigns, including but not limited to, expanding access to health insurance coverage through public programs and public health insurance options, increasing access to virtual care and telehealth options, and improving maternal and child health.
Working in close collaboration with the entire USofCare Policy and External Affairs team, the State External Affairs Manager will report to the State External Affairs and Partnerships Director and may be responsible for overseeing the work of junior staff and managing interns.
The State External Affairs Manager is responsible for executing state campaigns focused on the objectives of USofCare and seeking opportunities to work with states interested in advancing components of USofCare’s proactive policy agenda, which is shaped by USofCare’s research about what people need and want from the health care system. This position will engage with state-level advocates, policymakers, and other stakeholders in support of advancing USofCare’s policy priorities and will require building strategic relationships with a variety of stakeholders to respond to needs as they arise. Additionally, the State External Affairs Manager is responsible for:
- Tracking proposed policies that align with USofCare’s objectives (legislative and regulatory) at the state level and conducting analysis necessary to develop organizational positions on various health care issues;
- Managing issue-specific campaigns, including developing work plans, meeting facilitation with external partners, identifying campaign collateral needs (fact sheets, talking points, etc.), and working with vendors or contractors to increase support for the policy;
- Representing USofCare at meetings with state partners, state policymakers, and health care industry stakeholders, and advocating for change in alignment with USofCare’s policy positions;
- Assisting in the development of messaging and communications on state-level campaigns; and
- Providing project management on project-based grants;
- Providing regular and timely updates regarding active and new opportunities for state campaigns to internal USofCare team members and relevant state partners;
- Work with both internal USofCare colleagues and external partners to identify new opportunities;
- Assisting the State External Affairs and Partnerships Director in developing the strategic vision for advancing USofCare’s objectives through state-level policy and in the day-to-day management of contractors, consultants, and ad-hoc requests;
- Prioritizing diversity, equity, and inclusion principles, including utilizing the organization’s equity lens to inform all work; and
- Contributing to other organizational initiatives as needed.
The ideal candidate is self-directed, curious, organized, and shares USofCare’s commitment to people-centered policy change, diversity, equity, and inclusion. You should be comfortable in a fast-paced environment where tasks, priorities, and deadlines can change quickly. You have a passion for learning, understanding, and exploring new ideas. You are not afraid to ask questions, speak up, and be an active and engaged member of our team. You value collaboration and attention to detail and can work effectively across teams and departments within the organization.
- Four or more years of experience working on or directing state-level policy campaigns, including demonstrated ability to develop and execute strategy in legislative, budget, or regulatory environments;
- A strong commitment to ensuring every person–no matter their health status, social need, or income–has access to quality, affordable health care;
- Strong project and time management skills, with great attention to detail;
- Experience lobbying, working with, or managing contract lobbyists;
- Demonstrated experience building coalitions, relationships with new partners, and ability to think strategically about who is “missing from the table”;
- Excellent communication and writing skills, with the ability to communicate effectively with people from diverse backgrounds;
- Self-starter, with the ability to structure your day and priorities to meet deadlines under minimal supervision;
- Can thrive in an environment where the path forward isn’t always clear;
- Values open, honest, and constructive communication with fellow team members, and is committed to working collaboratively to ensure work and outcomes are equitable and aligned with organizational goals;
- Strong computer proficiency, specifically with the Google Suite of applications; and
- Willingness to work occasional nights and weekends, as necessary due to the schedules of state legislative sessions.
- Knowledge of health care policy and program areas in both public and private sectors, such as private health insurance, Medicare, Medicaid, and CHIP, or other policy areas related to increasing access to care, social determinants of health, promoting health equity, and addressing costs and affordability;
- Experience in a policy or advocacy organization, preferably with a focus on health care or closely related issue area;
- Experience working with consumers or patients, and the ability to understand and leverage their stories;
- Established relationships with advocates, legislators, or other policymakers in states that USofCare has not previously worked in;
- Understanding of the dynamics of 501(c)(3) versus 501(c)(4) organizations and capabilities; and
- Experience managing others.
Compensation and Location
United States of Care offers a very generous benefits package including medical, dental, and vision insurance; 403b with match and paid time off. This position is full-time and completely remote, with the exception of occasional travel. The salary for this position ranges from $65,000–$75,000, annually, depending on experience and location.
The position is open until filled. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, and interviews will begin by June 1, 2022.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2022-05-07