Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
State Government Affairs Director
Lumen is guided by our belief that humanity is at its best when technology advances the way we live and work. With 450,000 route fiber miles serving customers in more than 60 countries, we deliver the fastest, most secure global platform for applications and data to help businesses, government and communities deliver amazing experiences. Learn more about Lumen’s network, edge cloud, security and communication and collaboration solutions and our purpose to further human progress through technology at news.lumen.com, LinkedIn: /lumentechnologies, Twitter: @lumentechco, Facebook: /lumentechnologies, Instagram: @lumentechnologies and YouTube: /lumentechnologies.
The State Government Affairs Director will assist with the development and implementation of the vision, strategy and management of all state and local government relations and activities. Support and advance the interests of Lumen and the state and local level. This position will be based in Portland or Salem, OR.
Responsible for regulatory, state legislative and local government issues affecting Lumen. Develop and implements legislative strategies, monitors legislation, and coordinates local lobbyists and 3rd party organizations. Manages PAC distribution to candidates in Oregon.
- Cultivate and maintain strategic relationships with key public and government officials.
- Proactively evaluate proposed legislation and regulations, work with legislative staff on proposed revisions.
- Represent Lumen’s interests with federal, state and local legislative and regulatory bodies
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to effectively interact with all levels and departments throughout the organization while maintaining a high level of confidentiality.
- Communicate effectively and professionally in all forms of communication with internal and external customers.
The Main Responsibilities
- Develops and oversees execution of strategies by Government Affairs team for state, local and other public policy agencies to create opportunities for market expansion and specifically rural broadband deployment through state broadband grants and federal broadband stimulus.
- Develops and oversees execution of strategies by Government Affairs team to remove, limit or avoid statutory, regulatory or competitive barriers that hinder company efforts to deliver the best customer experience through network enhancements, launch new products and services, and market expansion.
- Partner closely with marketing, sales teams, engineering and construction, legal and other departments to ensure alignment of strategies and initiatives for maximum benefit.
- Collaborate with regional Government Affairs/Communications and Community Impact to support business growth and key initiatives.
- Continually evaluates competitive market conditions with goal of ensuring competitive neutrality. Supports sales team with state and local government agencies.
- Develops and implements strategy for government affairs and public policy issues for legislative issues affecting company operations as well as strategy for local regulatory issues.
- Develops and maintains relationships with government representatives and regulators at the federal, state, and local levels. Travels and attend meetings, hearings, or other events to represent Lumen.
- Manages outside consultants, or lobbyists to implement strategies and initiatives.
- Oversees budget for assigned states for lobbyists, consultants, and 3rd party memberships as well as PAC giving.
- Consistent exercise of independent judgement and discretion in matters of significance.
- Regular, consistent, and punctual attendance. Must be flexible to work nights and weekends, variable schedule(s) and overtime as necessary.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
What We Look For in a Candidate
- 10 or more years of experience required in related field. (i.e law, public policy, government affairs, lobbying, etc.)
- Experience working at the Federal, State and/or Local level; working at State Capitols and state agencies on lobbying efforts required.
- Demonstrated flexibility and creativity in problem solving, particularly in negotiations with government officials.
- Experience in working with all levels of the organization, particularly mid- and senior-level executives.
- Strong written and verbal skills, ability to adapt communications to different targeted audiences.
- Excellent interpersonal, leadership, presentation, and collaborative skills to work effectively with leadership and teams across the organization.
- Requires a high level of discretion and confidentiality; ability to deal with ambiguity and influencing without direct authority.
- Strong ability to execute and manage projects and details and the ability to muti-task.
- Must be able to work in a fast-paced environment and exhibit professionalism under pressure.
- Excellent proficiency with MS Office
- BS/BA degree in related discipline strongly desired (i.e, Political Science, Public Policy, Law)
- Experience working in an elected office, advocacy, or within public policy, strongly preferred.
- Knowledge of, and experience working with federal, state, local, broadband and telecommunications issues preferred.
What to Expect Next
Requisition #: 294197
We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all persons regardless of race, color, ancestry, citizenship, national origin, religion, veteran status, disability, genetic characteristic or information, age, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, family status, pregnancy, or other legally protected status (collectively, “protected statuses”). We do not tolerate unlawful discrimination in any employment decisions, including recruiting, hiring, compensation, promotion, benefits, discipline, termination, job assignments or training.
The above job definition information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job. Job duties and responsibilities are subject to change based on changing business needs and conditions.
Job posted: 2022-05-03