State Government Affairs Manager
We’re currently seeking a driven leader with experience managing political relationships to fill a key position in our organization. Our State Government Affairs Manager serves as a Government Affairs expert, tasked with managing political risks and understanding the public policy positions of Sentry Insurance. This role will drive activities to promote the interests of Sentry with local and state legislative and regulatory bodies, trade associations, industry partners, and customer groups.
This position will be located in Atlanta, GA.
What You’ll Do
As a State Government Affairs Manager, you’ll maintain an understanding of current legislative and regulatory developments and collaborate with business stakeholders to identify any downstream impact to the company. In addition, you’ll:
- Develop and implement strategic plans for achieving public policy, legislative, and regulatory results
- Cultivate relationships with elected officials, political leadership, governmental staff, and regulatory officials in order to support Sentry’s interests
- Develop sound advocacy strategies to positively influence state policies, laws, and regulations in support of the interests of Sentry
- Participate on committees, work groups, task forces, and other public and private entities in order to advocate for Sentry’s interests
- Provide legislative and regulatory updates for Sentry business unit stakeholders and company leadership
- Monitor and track legislative and regulatory developments in assigned region
What it Takes
In order to be eligible for this opportunity you must meet the following criteria:
- Bachelors Degree or equivalent work experience
- 5+ years of related work experience
- Experience involving the legislature and political processes
- Ability to be a registered lobbyist in priority states
- Familiarity with state and federal ethics and election laws
- Excellent communications and influencing skills
- Ability to effectively build relationships with legislators, regulators, their staff and industry groups
- Analytical ability to summarize complex policy topics
- Ability to meet the extensive travel requirements of this position (50% travel)
What You’ll Receive
We take great pride in making Forbes’ list of America’s Best Midsize Employers since 2017. A lot of different factors go into that honor, many of which contribute to your job satisfaction. At Sentry, your total rewards go beyond competitive compensation. Below are some benefits and perks that you’ll receive.
- Generous Paid-Time Off plan for you to enjoy time out of the office.
- 401(K) plan with a dollar for dollar match on your first eight percent, plus immediate vesting to help strengthen your financial future.
- Group Medical, Dental, Vision and Life insurance to encourage a healthy lifestyle.
- Pretax Dependent Care and Health Expense Reimbursement Accounts to ease taxes on health spending.
- Extensive Work-Life Resources to lend a helping hand.
- Sentry Foundation gift matching program to encourage charitable giving.
- Continue your education and career development through Sentry University (SentryU).
How You’ll Apply
If you are interested in joining Sentry’s team, select the one position that you are most interested in being considered for and complete your online application details. If you have applied with us before, you will only need to provide your email address and password. If this is your first time applying, you’ll need to create an account. Please complete your application and upload your resume online.
All of us at Sentry—more than 4,000 associates—have various talents, skills, and backgrounds. We work together to deliver on our promises to our policyholders every day. We’re proud to offer a full line of property, casualty, and life insurance products to help protect businesses, cars, homes, lives, and retirement income.
Our headquarters is in Stevens Point, Wisconsin, with claims and service offices located throughout the United States. From sales to claims, and information technology to marketing, we enjoy a rewarding and challenging work environment with opportunities for ongoing professional development and growth.
Our bright future is built on a long track record of success. We got our start in 1904 and have been helping businesses succeed and protect their futures ever since. Because of the trust placed in us, we’re one of the largest and financially strongest mutual insurance companies in the United States. We’re rated A+ by A.M. Best, the industry’s leading rating authority.
Get ready to own your future at Sentry. Opportunities await.
Equal Employment Opportunity
It is our policy that there be no discrimination in employment based on race, color, national origin, religion, sex, disability, age, marital status, or sexual orientation.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-05-14