State Government Affairs Manager
The U.S. State Government Affairs Manager shares responsibility for developing and executing the U.S. state advocacy agenda for the DuPont Specialty Products Division and its five businesses: Nutrition and Health, Safety and Construction, Electronics and Imaging, Industrial Biosciences and Transportation and Advanced Polymers. At present, these businesses represent a combined $21+ billion in revenue each year and are dedicated to a diversity of products and markets including but not limited to: food and feed applications and ingredients, biobased materials and fuels, photovoltaics, display and printing technologies, semiconductor technologies, safety equipment and apparel, construction applications and surfaces, and home and personal care applications.
Based at company headquarters in Wilmington, DE, this position will be responsible for assisting to develop and execute the U.S. State Government Affairs strategy for the Specialty Products Division. At a minimum, the position will be responsible for:
- A thorough understanding of the business interests and goals of the Specialty Products Division in order to drive the organization’s strategic advocacy agenda that fosters growth and commercialization of the Specialty Products portfolio
- Serving as the principal liaison for the Specialty Products Division with U.S. policymakers at all levels of government with a focus on state and local leaders
- Advocating the advocacy agenda directly and indirectly to the state legislative, regulatory and other state offices, trade associations and other stakeholders as applicable. Major issues include, but are not limited to: consent to operate, economic development, GMO labeling and food regulations, chemical regulation, biofuels policy, energy & energy efficiency policy and environmental standards and permitting.
- Translating business objectives and highly technical issues into messaging appropriate for advancing strategies with policymakers and other relevant stakeholders
- Developing a network of high quality relationships with senior leaders and staff in the businesses. These relationships should serve as a means of internal advocacy about Government Affairs activity and results, staying current on business activity and developments, and partnering to advance the company’s policy agenda.
- Developing and fostering strong working relationships with key policymakers and influencers to advocate for and support the Specialty Product Divisions business interests
- Representing the company’s interests in trade associations, identifying opportunities for leadership roles within trade associations, and promoting others in the company to engage with industry organizations to support our advocacy objectives
- Leading the development and execution of the company’s political engagement strategy, including the establishment of a Political Action Committee
- Leveraging opportunities to raise the Specialty Products Division’s profile through external engagement by participating in panels, giving presentations and offering facility meetings and tours
- Staffing and briefing business and corporate leadership in meetings with elected and political officials
We are searching for a candidate who possesses the following qualities:
- A bachelor’s degree in Political Science, Government, Engineering, Biology, Chemistry, Economics or related fields is required. An advanced degree in Business, Law, Public Policy or similar is desired
- A minimum of 5 years of experience in external affairs, public policy, government relations or state government experience is required. Experience with policy issues involving food, chemicals, air quality, agriculture, energy, biofuels and biochemicals, solar energy, intellectual property, tax or trade is desired.
- A clear understanding of the branches of government and an ability to develop and execute strategies to engage with government officials and their staff with the goal to achieve the most favorable public policy developments and/or outcomes to support growth for the Specialty Products Division
- Leadership skills with the capability to motivate diverse and intercultural teams in a challenging political and regulatory environment
- Ability to identify and leverage internal and external resources to articulate and advance business positions on select policy issues
- Strong knowledge of, and formal training in, government ethics
- High moral and ethical standards
- Excellent interpersonal skills and cultural sensitivity
- Proven ability to build and maintain strong relationships
- Exceptional analytical, written and oral communication skills
- Strong aptitude for translating complex issues so that they are easily understood by non-technical audiences
- A strong desire and experience working in a team environment, with success in building teams a plus
- Self-motivated individual with strong work ethic
- Ability to work in a dynamic environment and demonstrated adaptability to changing circumstances.
DowDuPont (NYSE: DWDP) is a holding company comprised of The Dow Chemical Company and DuPont with the intent to form strong, independent, publicly traded companies in agriculture, materials science and specialty products sectors that will lead their respective industries through productive, science-based innovation to meet the needs of customers and help solve global challenges. For more information, please visit us at www.dow-dupont.com.
The positions represented by this job posting are aligned to one of the three divisions, Agriculture, Materials Science or Specialty Products, which are expected to separate from DowDuPont into stand-alone public companies. Information on the division alignment will be provided during the recruitment process.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2019-01-25