State Government Affairs Manager
Monitor state and local legislative and regulatory activity; assess potential impact on Blue Cross NC operations, assist in developing corporate positions and responses, and represent Blue Cross NC to achieve corporate objectives.
- Serve as lobbyist and point of entry representative for Blue Cross NC with the North Carolina executive, legislative and administrative branches, boards and commissions and external policy organizations.
- Monitor and provide analysis and representation on state executive, legislative and regulatory activity to influence policy makers; promote and secure legislation and regulation; plan and execute strategies to ensure that legislation, regulation and state and local policies support Blue Cross NC goals and positions.
- Develop and maintain relationships and alliances with elected and appointed officials and other external constituencies, organizations and stakeholders in order to achieve company goals and positions.
- Serve as liaison for strategic outreach to company affiliations, business and third-party groups.
- Work with and guide internal stakeholders to develop Blue Cross NC’s legislative agenda, develop corporate positions and strategies, devise a lobbying and communication strategy, develop talking points and prepare position papers, testimony and briefings.
- Work closely with other organizations, including BCBSA, AHIP, NCCOIL, NCSL, ALEC, the NC Chamber, NFIB and other trade organizations and advocacy groups in order to achieve Blue Cross NC objectives.
- Bachelor’s degree
- 7 years of extensive experience working as a lobbyist or political consultant with State or Federal Government
- Must have experience communicating an organization’s or legislator’s message through written and oral communications.
- Exceptional judgment and ability to function and multi-task under pressure
- Ability to solve complex problems
- Ability to work and communicate with people with various political, policy, geographical, and socio-economic backgrounds
- Strong organizational, interpersonal, analytical and legislative/statutory research skills
- Excellent writing skills
- Good public speaking skills
- Ability to work independently
- Self-starter and evidence of intellectual curiosity
- Knowledge of state and federal elections and lobbying laws
- Ability to work with all levels of management
It’s an exciting time to work at Blue Cross and Blue Shield of North Carolina. Health care is changing, and we’re leading the way. We offer more than health insurance our customers can count on. We’re committed to better health and better health care − in our communities and beyond. Our employees bring energy and creativity to the workplace, and it shows in our innovative approach to improving the health and well-being of North Carolinians.
Our company is a not-for-profit with headquarters in Durham and major operations in Winston-Salem and Fayetteville. In all we employ more than 4,900 North Carolinians and serve more than 3.9 million customers.
Help us lead the charge for better health care by joining our award-winning team. Discover tremendous opportunities with us to do challenging and rewarding work. Opportunities that can lead you to a fulfilling career, work that can help others lead healthier, happier lives.
Third Party Staffing Agencies
Blue Cross NC does not accept unsolicited resumes from any source other than directly from candidates. For the protection of all parties involved in the recruiting process, resumes will only be accepted from recruiters/agencies if a signed agreement is in place at the inception of the recruiting effort and authorized for a specific position. Unsolicited resumes sent to Blue Cross NC from recruiters/agencies do not constitute any type of relationship between the recruiter/agency and Blue Cross NC and do not obligate Blue Cross NC to pay fees if we hire from those resumes.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2019-10-09