State Government Affairs Manager
The public and private sectors have a unique opportunity to work together to address the world’s most pressing challenges. Microsoft is committed to do its part, by working closely with governments and others to help achieve important economic and social goals. To that end, we are seeking a State Government Affairs Manager (SGAM) to join our team. The SGAM will play a critical role in working with state and local government leaders, community leaders, and business leaders to develop and achieve the company’s political, policy and relationship goals in a way that reflects the goals and values of Microsoft.
The SGAM will be responsible for state legislative and executive branch lobbying on state and local public policy issues. They will also work directly with the U.S. Public Sector sales organization in its efforts to support the sale of Microsoft products, Services, and solutions to government customers. This job will involve interaction with state and local government officials, community and business leaders, senior Microsoft personnel, executives, and numerous internal and external audiences.
- Promote Microsoft as a local and worldwide leader in providing software, services and solutions that help people and organizations achieve more.
- Work closely with public sector sales teams at the local and state level to effect adoption and usage of Microsoft technology.
- Drive and host targeted audience visits to Microsoft nationally. These include visits to campus of elected officials from outside Washington, partner groups interested in visiting Microsoft headquarters as a part of meetings, etc. This position will coordinate the effort between the relationship leader and participants from Microsoft to drive programming and ancillary features of the visit.
- Develop and maintain strategic relationships with state and local elected officials, and community and business leaders in your territory.
- Represent Microsoft in partner business and trade organizations.
- Represent Microsoft interests with governments, business and community organizations to enhance Microsoft’s local presence.
- Manage government affairs and lobbyist consultants in select states.
- Represent Microsoft at external events, meetings and conferences when needed.
- Identify opportunities for collaboration with other organizations on issues of mutual interest.
- Develop coalitions to support Microsoft’s policy agenda as appropriate.
- Build effective advocacy campaigns focusing on improving perceptions and driving adoption of long range public policy goals.
- Ensure compliance of political activities with external laws and regulations and Microsoft Standards of Business Conduct.
- Work collaboratively with all internal Business Units to achieve success in your region.
- 5+ years related work experience working in a government affairs capacity.
- B.A. degree in government, public policy, or similar field.
- Strong written skills a must.
- Ability to multitask, prioritize, communicate with peers and managers, etc.
- This is a dynamic team and the successful candidate will be expected to contribute to all activities on the team as needed.
Work experience should include the following:
- Demonstrated results in developing and implementing strategic plans involving legislative and policy matters; familiarity with technology and related public policy issues; ability to engage effectively in a variety of public settings; experience managing outside resources, including lobbying firms and trade associations; ability to work as a team player; excellent oral and written communication skills; and a proven track record as an effective advocate and relationship builder.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Learn more here
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.
Job posted: 2020-12-31