State Government Affairs Manager $85,000-$125,000
Advance the Brewers Association’s state government affairs objectives, often working in concert with state brewers guilds. State government affairs managers advise on policy formulation, develop plans to implement state government affairs objectives, and work with state trade associations and affected brewers to advocate for desired legislative and regulatory outcomes. State government affairs managers also help develop and strengthen the Brewers Association’s understanding of existing state laws and monitor and report on legislative developments.
- Assist Brewers Association Government Affairs Staff and the Government Affairs Committee in developing state legislative priorities.
- Formulate arguments and create advocacy materials in support of Brewers Association state government affairs objectives.
- Monitor and track state legislative and administrative rulemaking activity, report to Brewers Association staff on such activity, and recommend possible priorities for state association and Brewers Association efforts.
- Maintain regular contact with state trade association boards and executive directors both to monitor state government affairs activities and to coordinate Brewers Association and state association government affairs programs.
- Build and maintain relationships with key state legislators and regulators.
- Cultivate and maintain professional working relationships with state trade association executive directors and key representatives of other industry stakeholders (e.g., for state wholesaler associations, winery associations).
- Lobby legislative and executive branch officials in coordination with Brewers Association staff and state brewers association boards and executive directors.
- Research and compile multistate databases on state alcohol laws and policies and ensure that such databases remain current as laws and policies change.
- Where appropriate, organize and coordinate coalitions to advance government affairs objectives across multiple states or across multiple stakeholders within a state.
- Where appropriate, prepare and submit written or oral testimony in support of pending bills or pending rulemaking projects.
- Present at state association meetings and other gatherings to promote the Brewers Association and to provide the Association’s perspective on various policy issues.
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
- At least three years of state government affairs and/or public policy experience. Multi-state government affairs experience preferred.
- College degree required. Juris Doctor preferred.
- Curious mind and willingness to learn new things, particularly as the position will require the manager to develop a strong knowledge of the government affairs landscape and the law of multiple states.
- Skilled at reading and understanding legal documents (e.g., bills and rulemaking proposals).
- Ability to write persuasive talking points, legislative testimony, comments on pending rules, and other documents necessary for advancing government affairs objectives.
- Ability to make engaging and persuasive oral presentations, including public speaking, to state trade associations, lawmakers, and regulatory bodies.
- Adept with building professional relationships and maintaining cordial relations even when taking a position contrary to that of a professional contact.
- Proficient at preparing and maintaining accurate compilations that summarize bills, laws, rulemaking projects, and similar relevant subjects.
- Strong self-motivation and ability work independently.
- Willingness to travel, sometimes on short notice.
- Craft Brewers Conference and Tradeshow (location different each year) once per year
- Hill Climb in Washington, DC once per year
- At least one annual trip to a gathering of state alcohol regulators (e.g., National Conference of State Liquor Administrators, National Alcohol Beverage Control Association).
- At least one annual trip to participate in a state trade association leader gathering, as well as attending state association leader meetings at the Craft Brewers Conference and the Hill Climb.
- Multiple other trips (estimated at two/month) to states within manager’s assigned region as needed to support legislative efforts, present at state association functions, etc.
Note: This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities or qualifications associated with this job.
Brewers Association is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, gender, religion, age, disability, political beliefs, sexual orientation, or marital/familial status.
Job posted: 2021-11-09