State Government Affairs Officer
LG – Legal, Regulatory & Gov’t AffairsEstimated Travel Percentage (%): Up to 25%Relocation Provided: NoAmerican International Group, Inc.
We have an exciting opportunity for a State Government Affairs Officer to join our Government Relations team! You will primarily be responsible to identify emerging public policy opportunities and risks arising from the Executive and Legislative branches of State governments and affecting AIG’s businesses in a designated territory of states. Within the designated territory of the Northwest, you will serve as AIG’s primary advocate with public officials overseeing state policy issues affecting AIG. Coordinate activity of retained counsels in support of AIG’s initiatives.
This position can be based remotely in: Washington, Oregon, Colorado, Texas, Washington DC, Maryland, or Virginia. We will consider other remote locations and options, as well.
Specific responsibilities will include:
- ADVOCATE- Position AIG as a leading voice on P&C, Life and Retirement issues within the designated territory. Advocate the company’s policy agenda with state public officials, including state insurance commissioners and their staffs, as well as state legislative leaders.
- REPORT- Advise the Vice President of State Government Affairs accountable for designated territory, as well as company management more broadly, on emerging state policy issues affecting AIG and its businesses.
- TRACK – Identify and monitor policy issues (legislative and regulatory) affecting AIG within designated territory.
- COORDINATE – Collaborate closely with AIG businesses and other corporate functions to devise and execute the advocacy and lobbying strategies needed to successfully impact the emerging state policy agenda.
- COMMUNICATE – Serve as liaison for state government affairs between AIG’s businesses and public officials and regulatory bodies within designated territory.
- Bachelor’s Degree required; Master’s and/or Law Degree a plus
- 5+ years of experience in public policy, government relations or related field with experience working with state legislative and regulatory bodies, trade associations or insurance/financial services industry
- Strong written, verbal, and interpersonal communications skills
- Highly motivated, dependable, and well organized
- Creative thinker and problem solver
- Superior relationship building skill with both internal and external constituencies
- Must be willing and able to travel up to 25% or as needed
It has been and will continue to be the policy of American International Group, Inc., its subsidiaries and affiliates to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We provide equal opportunity to all qualified individuals regardless of race, color, religion, age, gender, gender expression, national origin, veteran status, disability or any other legally protected categories.
At AIG, we believe that diversity and inclusion are critical to our future and our mission – creating a foundation for a creative workplace that leads to innovation, growth, and profitability. Through a wide variety of programs and initiatives, we invest in each employee, seeking to ensure that our people are not only respected as individuals, but also truly valued for their unique perspectives.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2018-07-12