State Government Affairs Specialist
Full Job Description
The American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy (AAMFT) has an opening for a State Government Affairs Specialist position in the Government and Corporate Affairs Department.
The State Government Affairs Specialist is responsible for providing AAMFT state leaders and other members with guidance and assistance on state and private payer advocacy initiatives. Represents AAMFT on policy issues before state legislatures, state executive offices, private health plans, and other public and private entities. Advises AAMFT’s volunteer leaders on local legislation and policy. Assists with member engagement in advocacy. Utilizes social media platforms and other communication mediums to communicate with members on advocacy issues.
Essential Roles and Responsibilities:
- Represent AAMFT before state legislatures, state executive offices, private health plans, and other public and private entities.
- Implement effective grassroots activities, including participation by members, state chapter leaders, and other stakeholders.
- Provide volunteer leaders and other members with guidance and assistance on state legislative, regulatory, and private payer initiatives.
- Prepare fact sheets, materials, research, and documents to support the AAMFT advocacy activities and advance the profession.
- Monitor state legislation and regulation pertaining to family therapists.
- Write articles on advocacy and advocacy-related topics for AAMFT members.
- Respond to requests from AAMFT members.
- Support AAMFT’s federal advocacy efforts.
Qualifications and Skills:
Bachelor’s degree. One year of prior advocacy or lobbying experience desired. Knowledge of health issues and of state legislative and regulatory processes desired. Must have excellent communication skills and demonstrated ability to handle multiple projects. Possess knowledge and skills in using Microsoft Office software programs, web content and management systems, databases, and social media platforms. Must pass a background check.
Salary is mid-40’s. Applications submitted without salary requirements will not be considered. No phone calls please.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-06-06