State Government and Community Relations Lead
TC Energy’s U.S. State Government and Community Relations Department is seeking a Government and Community Relations Lead. Reporting to the Manager, U.S. Community Relations and Stakeholder Outreach, the successful candidate is an experienced communicator and state and local government relations professional with knowledge and experience in a broad range of external affairs strategies and approaches. The successful candidate will be charged with developing and expanding stakeholder relations and community outreach; assisting in the development and implementation of project outreach and communication plans; communicating key messages and project details to various stakeholders including, elected/public officials, nongovernmental organizations, landowner organizations and the public at large; supporting government and political affairs activities in key regions within company service territory and working with State Government and Community Relations Advisors to manage spend, and ensure consistency and collaboration across the service territory. This position will be responsible for leading reporting and communication initiatives, as well as developing tactical plans for Advisors. Travel to TC Energy U.S. operations, facilities and territory states as required.
- Serve as an active member of project execution teams for key projects, contributing to the development and implementation of stakeholder and community outreach plans;
- Assist in the development and dissemination of key messages to public/elected officials, and the community at large;
- Plan and facilitate open houses and public meetings in project areas;
- Build relationships with community and stakeholder groups in key regions within company service territory;
- Troubleshoot, address and mitigate stakeholder and community relations issues;
- Actively support teams with the execution of solutions that address stakeholder concerns;
- Develop and ensure consistency of messaging between various audiences, representing the company’s interests;
- Represent the company in both large and small public settings in a professional and skillful manner;
- Perform as a self-starter, identify needs and take initiative;
- Engage as a team player and leader, both internally and externally;
- Serve on TC Energy’s on-call roster for emergency call-out;
- Maintain focus in demanding situations;
- Other tasks as required.
- A trained internal and/or external affairs professional with strong written, verbal and presentation skills;
- Ability to have work assigned in terms of broad objectives to be accomplished and completed in an independent manner;
- Ability to think strategically, weigh issues and recommend effective solutions;
- Ability to analyze issues and develop strategies to maintain and enhance public perception;
- Advanced consulting skills; comfortable with assisting executive level and other leaders;
- A team player – responsible for building rapport with team members and internal business partners;
- Customer service oriented;
- Ability to work under the pressure of tight deadlines;
- Flexibility and ability to travel and work overtime if necessary.
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, public affairs or other related concentration;
- 5+ years of government and community relations, public relations, communications or related experience;
- Ability to manage travel (>50%);
- Government and/or media relations experience;
- Event planning and management experience;
- External communications experience, utility, oil and gas, or other regulated industry experience a plus;
Apply to this posting by 05/29/2020 using reference code 70343. You must apply through our jobs system at jobs.tcenergy.com. Only applications submitted through our system will be acknowledged. Applications may be submitted using a mobile device or desktop / laptop computer.
TC Energy is an equal opportunity employer and participates in the E-Verify program supervised by the U.S. government.
Visit us at TCEnergy.com and connect with us on our social media channels for our latest news, employee stories, community activities, and other updates.
Thank you for choosing TC Energy in your career search.
* Depending on qualifications, the successful candidate may be offered a position at a more appropriate level and/or ladder.
* Applicants must have legal authorization to work in the country in which the position is based with no restrictions.
* All positions require background screening. Some require criminal and/or credit checks to comply with regulations.
Job posted: 2020-05-15