Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
State Government Relations Director
Join Land O’Lakes, Inc., and help us bring food from farmer to fork, building vibrant communities along the way. We’re a global, Fortune 250 company and a farmer-owned cooperative, which means we work for one another—not Wall Street. We’re proud to rank a Top Workplace. We offer:
- Competitive compensation and rewards
- Best-in-class healthcare for you and your family
- Powerful savings programs
- Training and career progression
State Government Relations Director
Director of State Government and Industry Relations
The Director of State Government and Industry Relations reports to the Vice President of Government and Industry Relations and provides strategic leadership of Land O’Lakes policy and engagement at the state level; develops and coordinates thought leadership opportunities that position corporate leadership before key audiences; leads and convenes engagements to amplify our policy voice and drive key priorities; engages corporate and business unit leadership to understand current and future business plans, and build alignment on policy priorities; Initiates, cultivates, and maintains strong working relationships between elected officials, policy staff, Land O’Lakes leadership and members and the broader business community; and collaborates closely with corporate and business unit functions to shape media messages and strategies to advance key policy priorities, enhance public opinion and increase awareness of our brands.
Main responsibilities include:
GOVERNMENT RELATIONS AND GRASSROOTS ENGAGEMENT:
- Provide strategic leadership of Land O’Lakes policy and engagement strategy at the state level.
- Oversee and manage Land O’Lakes State Affairs team, consultants, and lobbyists to position and drive progress on the cooperatives key policy priorities at the state level.
- Connect corporate leadership with key policy, decision, and influence makers at the state level to advance policy priorities, elevate brand awareness, and corporate thought leadership.
- Develop, coordinate and opportunities that position key corporate leaders, business unit leadership and the cooperative’s members before key policy audiences.
- Initiate, cultivate, and maintain strong working relationships between elected officials, policy staff, Land O’Lakes leadership and members and the broader business community.
- Support grassroots engagement opportunities to drive state legislative priorities and to allow Land O’Lakes members, executives, and staff to engage with policy leaders.
- Comply with necessary ethics rules and reporting requirements.
PARTNERSHIPS AND ENGAGEMENT:
- Convene strategic partners, including trade associations, policy makers and other businesses to amplify our voice, build policy proof points and generate the needed political capital to drive desired policy outcomes.
LEADERSHIP AND STRATEGY:
- Engage corporate and business unit leadership to understand current and future business plans, build alignment on policy positioning, and develop strategies that enable the cooperative to execute its short and long-term strategic policy goals at the state level.
- Lead and develop strategic planning and team goal setting designed to drive strong performance metrics and position the team to achieve progress.
- Assist in managing the budget, administering association dues; and plan and execute association activities to support the cooperatives goals and objectives.
- Clearly communicate Land O’Lakes government relations strategy, priorities and the business implications to Sr. management, board of directors and business unit leaders.
- Develop, prepare, and deliver written and / or oral presentations before key audiences, including testimony before legislative hearings or other governmental bodies.
- Communicate policy implications and opportunities with affected stakeholders, report on progress of legislative efforts to senior management, business unit leads, board of directors, policy and resolutions committee members and other cooperative leaders.
Required (Basic) Experience & Education:
10+ years of legislative or administrative government experience
Degree in agriculture, public affairs, political science, journalism, communications, or related fields
Required Competencies & Other Skills:
Communication – Expresses self clearly and succinctly, written and verbal.
Integrity and Trust – Sets a high standard through personal conduct.
Composure under pressure, is considered mature, holds things together during tough times, is a settling influence in a crisis.
Organizational Agility, knows how to get things done through formal channels and the informal network, understands the origin and reasoning behind key polices, practices, and procedures
Self-starter, ability to work well independently or as a team
Ability to travel; up to 20%
Strong understanding of agriculture and food industry
Previous experience working for an elected official or administrative agency
Previous people management experience
Manages Vision & Purpose, makes the vision sharable by everyone, inspires and motivates.
Business Acumen, demonstrates knowledge in current and possible future policies, practices, trends and information, is aware of how strategies and tactics work in the marketplace.
Conflict Management, can hammer out tough agreements and settles disputes equitably, can find common ground and get cooperation.
Land O’Lakes, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) M/F/Vets/Disabled. The company maintains a drug-free workforce, including pre- and post-employment substance abuse testing pursuant to a Drug and Alcohol Policy.
Neither Land O’Lakes, nor its search firms, will ever contact you and ask for confidential information over the phone or in email. If you receive a call or email like this, please do not provide the information being requested.
Land O’Lakes endeavors to make Landolakesinc.com accessible to any and all users. If you would like to contact us regarding the accessibility of our website or need assistance completing the application process, please contact the HR Solution Center at 844-LOL-HR4U (844-565-4748) M-F 8:00am-4:30pm CT.
Job posted: 2022-07-26