Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
State Government Relations Director
Are you ready to join an organization where you can make an extraordinary impact every day?
Imagine all Americans enjoying ideal cardiovascular health free of heart disease and stroke. At the American Heart Association and American Stroke Association, we get to work toward that goal every day. Is it easy? No. Is it worthwhile? Absolutely.
This is satisfying and challenging work that makes a real difference in people’s lives. We are where you can achieve professional growth with personal fulfillment. We are where you can connect people to making a lifesaving impact. We are where you can partner with individuals, schools, lawmakers, healthcare providers and others to ensure everyone has access to healthier lifestyle choices and proper healthcare. The American Heart Association is where you can make an extraordinary impact.
The State Government Relations Director is responsible for serving as the primary representative of the AHA to the assigned state legislature and relevant state agencies to generate awareness and support for the AHA’s public policy agenda. Strategically coordinate and oversee efforts to further the state public policy priorities of the American Heart Association (AHA). Responsible for working with AHA staff, volunteers, coalitions and partner organizations to build support for AHA policy issues and to integrate advocacy messaging into relevant AHA programs and events. Responsible for developing and advancing a local policy agenda in Nashville, TN and other communities.
Essential Job Duties
- Meets one on one with members of the state legislature, their staff, and other state government officials to gain support for the AHA’s advocacy issues.
- Monitors and engages on state-level legislative and regulatory issues of concern to the AHA and apprises appropriate AHA volunteers and staff of emerging advocacy issues and local ordinances.
- Provides policy research, development of support materials, recruitment of spokespersons, preparation of testimony, and other activities as needed to advance the AHA’s legislative agenda.
- Participates in coalition building efforts and collaborative partnerships to leverage opportunities that advance the AHA’s advocacy issues.
- Recruits membership for and provides staff support to volunteer state advocacy committee(s). Collaborates with the committee to develop an annual state legislative agenda.
- Provides strategic direction on statewide grassroots and key contact, recruitment, retention and mobilization efforts. Provides strategic direction and support materials for state lobby days and/or local in-district meetings.
- Collaborates with communications staff partners on development and timing of media advocacy efforts.
- Prepares required reporting information including local, state and/or federal lobbying reports and other reporting as necessary.
- Provides advocacy presentations and training opportunities to volunteers and staff as needed.
- Attends and participates in relevant AHA meetings throughout the year, including national and affiliate staff training, affiliate and state-level meetings with staff partners, and metro board meetings.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Public Policy, Political Science, Law, related field or equivalent work experience
- Three (3) years of experience and success in legislative and regulatory lobbying
- Three (3) years of demonstrated experience building and managing issue advocacy coalition(s)
- Three (3) years of experience developing and implementing grassroots and media advocacy tactics
- Exceptional oral and written communications skills
- Policy analysis and technical (legislative and regulatory) writing skills
- Ability to simultaneously manage multiple, complex projects in varying stages of development under time constraints
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of strategic planning, budgeting, and managing work
- Knowledge of voluntary health organizations or nonprofit organizations
- Experience working in health care policy
- Experience in volunteer management
- Understanding and appreciation for the use of technology and information systems
At American Heart Association | American Stroke Association, diversity, inclusion, and equal opportunity applies to both our workforce and the communities we serve as it relates to heart health and stroke prevention.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2022-05-07