State Government Relations Manager
The State Government Relations Manager is responsible for assisting the VP of Government Relations in building a robust government relations function for Commonwealth Care Alliance, Inc. (CCA). The Manager coordinates a broad advocacy agenda to enhance the CCA brand and reputation. In collaboration with the VP of Government Relations, the Manager is responsible for the execution of the organization’s state government relations strategy; communicating with lobbyists, associations of which CCA is a member, elected officials and their staff members, advocacy organizations and interest groups and state agencies to convey the organization’s positions on issues.
- Builds relationships with State government leaders and key advocacy organizations to best posture the company.
- Assists in the planning and execution of communication programs to enhance the company’s image with state and local officials, industry, employees, and the communities in which the company operates.
- Manages and advises the VP of Government Relations on state political activity, such as event participation and internal fundraising opportunities.
- Coordinates state government and regulatory programs and practices including monitoring legislation, developing legislative and regulatory strategies and proactively identifies and communicates legislative issues and trends that impact the company including preparing memoranda and briefing materials.
- Proactively identifies and communicates legislative issues to external parties similarly situated in order to build coalitions.
- Communicates with and manages the contracts of retained lobbyists in consultation with the VP of Government Relations.
- Effectively coordinates activity to ensure that issues are communicated quickly and accurately to appropriate internal personnel.
- Facilitates the Leadership Team’s involvement and represents the company in industry and trade organizations and industry events at the direction of the VP of Government Relations.
- Serves as an external representative for any issues that may affect the company at the state level.
- As required and in partnership with the VP of Government Relations, prepares papers, testimony and correspondence to promote CCA’s positions on proposed policies.
- Acts as a facilitator and organizer for elected official visits. Assists with drafting of press releases, speeches, presentations, messages to the Board, letters-to-editors and op-eds when appropriate.
- Bachelor’s Degree required
- Prefered experience in Public Policy, Political Science, Communications or Journalism.
- Masters Degree preferred.
- Minimum of 3-5 years’ experience.
- Both private sector experience in public affairs/government relations field and public sector experience desired.
- Proven experience in effectively communicating with top-level government leaders and outside thought leaders to win support for the company.
- Excellent collaboration skills with the ability to partner effectively across the organization.
- Demonstrated ability to present complex business ideas, strategies and results succinctly and persuasively with external parties.
- Delivers compelling verbal communications – even on contentious topics – with confidence and sensitivity.
- Proven experience of successfully building and driving government affairs programs.
- At least 3 years of professional experience in Communications with extensive experience understanding policy, rules and regulations and articulating them in clear, concise and engaging terms.
- Related experience must include crisis management, speaking on-the-record and developing communication materials Ability to translate complex policy issues into well-written material for broad public consumption.
- Knowledge of the federal, state and local legislative process.
- Experience attending to variable legislative issues while meeting time-sensitive deadlines.
- Knowledge of Medicaid, Medicare, health care and pharmacy issues.
- In-state travel to meet with regulators and other stakeholders.
- Standard Office environment.
Job posted: 2019-05-15