State Government Relations Manager
We are looking for a talented State Government Relations Manager to join our team in Washington, DC.
In this role, you will make an impact in the following ways:
- Conducts advocacy efforts for government relations in the U.S., country of assignment, or international region at all levels of government.
- Provides input into and implements legislative and policy initiatives and strategies related to industry and community specific issues of interest to Cummins at any level of government; drafts, negotiates, and advocates Cummins positions through white papers, testimonies, public comment responses, proposed legislation, and other appropriate activities.
- Builds and maintains strong relationships with legislators, authorities, and heads of regulatory agencies; provides input into and implements government affairs strategies to enhance the organization’s image amount governmental authorities.
- Establishes rapport with industry associations and trade organizations to ensure representation of Cummins’ interests; participates in industry and trade groups to develop and advocate for common industry positions.
- Works with the business to understand its goals and objectives to ensure that government relations activities are aligned to the business; identifies risk to the enterprise from government actions.
- Complies with all laws, regulations, and ethical concerns within government relations activities and broadly across the organization.
- Develops position papers and discussion guides for those who act as an external spokesperson with public policy stakeholders for the company; speaks at external and internal meetings regarding public policy issues and activities.
- Develops an awareness of and suggests sponsorship opportunities at all levels of government; provides input into marketing initiatives in the U.S. , country of assignment, or international region; contributes to the corporate responsibility strategy for the U.S. , country of assignment, or international region.
- Understands all activities with Government Relations in issue area or country of assignment;maintains strong relationships outside consulting firms in areas of jurisdiction.
- Establish grassroots relationships between local Cummins leaders and local government officials in Cummins locations around North America.
- Support incentive efforts tied to investments in local communities.
- Maintain communication with state and local elected officials regarding Cummins’ business, products, corporate responsibility, and investment in the community.
- Coordinate coalitions of business and advocacy entities to support legislative and regulatory efforts.
- Identify government grants and opportunities for the business, support efforts to apply for grants, and assist with any compliance issues.
- May oversee the Political Action Committee (PAC) administration to ensure that all accounting,budgeting, processing and reporting activities are completed as appropriate.
- Coordinates grassroots activities for the company; updates and modernizes grassroots database; identifies site contacts; trains site contacts and develops and improves site communications activities; assists in the management of grassroots campaigns.
- Manages government relations continuous process improvements to mitigate risks throughout the organization.
- Develops, leads, and motivates Government Relations staff; sets goals in training and development, performance, and career planning.
To be successful in this role you will need the following:
Instills trust – Gaining the confidence and trust of others through honesty, integrity, and authenticity.
Regulatory Compliance – Champions compliance with environmental regulatory requirements imposed on industry by local, state, provincial, national, and international organizations including air emissions, waste water discharges, natural resource consumption, waste generation, spill prevention and reporting, and emergency response.
Business Writing – Writes business messages using appropriate grammar and style guidelines for the given format or publication and target audience; simplifies complex information into messages relevant to the target audience.
Persuades – Using compelling arguments to gain the support and commitment of others.
Manages complexity – Making sense of complex, high quantity, and sometimes contradictory information to effectively solve problems.
Builds networks – Effectively building formal and informal relationship networks inside and outside the organization.
Ensures accountability – Holding self and others accountable to meet commitments.
Political Acumen – Compares and contrasts the interests of key stakeholders (individuals, political parties, media, and outside groups such as NGOs, organized labor, PACs, etc.) to form effective and persuasive advocacy strategies and communications.
Lobbying Strategy and Management – Formulates comprehensive advocacy plans that identify stakeholders, timelines for action, local and federal level engagement and communication tools to drive positive results; assess effectiveness of strategy by monitoring progress/awareness and adapt to ensure preferred policy outcome.
Government Advocacy – Demonstrates deep understanding of the mechanics of how the legislative, executive and judicial branches enact law or policy changes at the national, state/provincial and local government level in the country of assignment; identifies engagement opportunities and legal obligations relating to lobbying and political activities at the national, state/provincial and local levels.
Legislative Research – Reviews and interprets legislative text, regulations and policy proposals, and compares/contrasts with other laws or regulations; summarizes government policy proposals in context of business needs.
Education, Licenses, Certifications
College, university, or equivalent degree required.
Six Sigma Green Belt certification preferred.
Significant relevant work experience required.
Up to 25% travel required
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-12-14