State Legislative Manager
Everytown for Gun Safety is seeking a motivated individual with issue advocacy/policy campaign experience and strong interpersonal skills to serve as State Legislative Manager. This position reports to the Regional Director of State Affairs and will help build and strengthen opportunities to pass life-saving gun violence prevention laws.
State Legislative Affairs and Campaign Management
- Direct state and local campaigns in 2-3 states with significant support from Regional Director.
- Cultivate relationships and partner with stakeholders at the state and local level with oversight and guidance from Regional Director, including partner organizations, law enforcement, elected officials, coalitions, networks, and influencers, building grassroots and grasstops capacity.
- Become steeped in firearm policy in order to promote and defeat policies effectively.
- Maintain an up-to-date knowledge of each of your states’ legislative agendas, and the overall political environment, with an eye towards delivering gun violence prevention legislation and other appropriate interventions.
- Run state-specific cross-functional team meetings, ensuring strong project management of specific campaigns.
- Hire and manage state-based consultants.
- Establish and oversee contracts with vendors and consultants.
Knowledge and Skills Requirements:
- Experience with state legislative affairs required
- Bachelor’s degree or commensurate experience
- 2+ years experience working in or directing issue advocacy/policy campaigns
- Basic proficiency in Google Suite and the ability to quickly learn new systems
- Understand how stereotypes, bias, and forms of racism in America (including structural racism, implicit bias, gender bias, religious bias, ageism, and bias based on gender identity or sexual orientation) impact our society, with an expectation that you will develop an ability to articulate the connection between these large societal issues and the disproportionate impact of gun violence on specific demographic groups in America
- Understand how dynamics of power, voice, and privilege impact one-on-one and group interactions, and a commitment to using power, voice, and privilege to make our movement more equitable
- Independent and creative thinker who is confident offering their own ideas
- Strong ability to multi-task and to be resourceful
- Good problem-solving abilities
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced environment
- Sense of humor is a must
- Travel required
Please let us know if you are currently a Member of Moms Demand Action in a Leadership Position, including your current position and state.
Please note: we verify information provided in the application process, including education.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Everytown for Gun Safety provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws.
Candidates who identify as members of historically underrepresented groups are highly encouraged to apply. A diverse workforce and open culture are at the heart of our organization and vital to our success.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-07-20