Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
State & Local Government Affairs Industry Manager
The public and private sectors have a unique opportunity to work together to address the world’s most pressing challenges. Microsoft is committed to do its part, by working closely with governments and others to help achieve important economic and social goals. To that end, we are seeking a manager to join our State Government Affairs (SGA) Industry team. The SGA Industry Team manager will play a critical role in working with state and local government, and education leaders to advocate for policies and programs that advance digital transformation and increase the responsible use of cloud-based technologies.
SGA Industry team managers will closely coordinate with Microsoft’s US Regulated Industries (USRI) sales organization, government stakeholders, and consultants to identify and pursue opportunities for governments to cloud computing solutions. Industry team managers will also work closely with SGA policy directors who lead Microsoft’s engagement on a wide array of policy issues with governments leaders. In addition, Industry team managers will develop relationships with organizations that influence state and local government technology policymakers and develop analyses that help advise USRI pursuits.
What you would do in this role:
- Promote Microsoft as a local and worldwide leader in providing software, services and solutions that help people and organizations achieve more.
- Work closely with public sector sales teams at the local and state level to effect adoption and usage of Microsoft technology.
- Develop and maintain strategic relationships with state and local elected officials, and organizations that influence the direction of state and local government technology adoption.
- Educate stakeholders on the structure of state and local governments and their IT function, including structure, funding, and governance.
- Manage government affairs and lobbyist consultants.
- Help advance Microsoft’s social responsibility programs, in partnership with stakeholders across the company.
- Propose and participate in the development of thought leadership materials that articulate Microsoft’s vision for enabling digital transformation in states.
- Ensure compliance of political activities with external laws and regulations and Microsoft Standards of Business Conduct.
- Tracks and monitors policy-, industry-, or geographical-related issues and executes on Microsoft strategies and/or programs related to government affairs.
- Contributes to the formation of Microsoft’s policy agenda and/or advocacy strategies.
- Responds to issues by prioritizing, engaging relevant parties, and escalating matters or contacting a specialist, as appropriate.
- Manages the implementation of Microsoft’s strategic initiatives by directing collaboration between company business owners, suppliers, and external influencers (e.g., government policymakers); prepares and provides materials (e.g., strategy, policy briefings, other documentation) for internal stakeholders.
Subject Matter Expertise and Influence
- Shares and exchanges ideas with key influencers to advance Microsoft’s public policy agenda.
- Gathers and integrates external/internal data and other intelligence to assist with the preparation of position papers, policy briefings, presentations, and legislative testimony for legislative action.
- Provides counseling on public policy and/or geo-political or cultural topics to business units related to specific product development or business plans.
- Contributes to and/or implements creative solutions for advancing Microsoft policy and/or political agenda, while managing risks and consequences.
- Manages and coordinates internal/external events, including developing content, drafting materials, and driving social media engagement.
- Collaborates with internal teams to ensure there is communications strategy in place.
- Establishes relationships with key governmental and non-governmental stakeholders (e.g., peer and industry organizations, think tanks, academics, businesses, community leaders) implements outreach strategies, and positions these partners as advocates for Microsoft’s policy, political, and business priorities.
- Supports the execution of strategies and strategic projects that advance the Public Sector and other key business objectives by working with the government and academic partners.
- Leads, coordinates, and gains buy-in for intra-group and/or cross-group projects and holds others accountable by leveraging project management approaches.
- Works with others to resolve cross-group priority conflicts and gain alignment across teams as needed to enable the achievement of shared business objectives.
- Collaborates with internal stakeholders to understand and align objectives, priorities, and resources.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Public Policy, Public Administration, or related field AND 2+ years experience in government affairs, corporate affairs, public policy, or government.
- OR 5+ years experience in government affairs, corporate affairs, public policy, or government.
Additional or Preferred Qualifications
- 3+ years experience in developing and managing strategic relationships to advocate and influence public/technology policy priorities.
- 3+ years related experience working at the confluence of government, technology, and advocacy.
- Strong writing skills.
- Knowledge of government information technology (IT) concepts, and technology policy as it pertains to procurement, governance, compliance, and budgeting.
- Ability to multitask, prioritize, communicate with peers and managers, etc.
- This role is fully remote, and successful candidates can come from anywhere within the US- West Coast
- Work experience should include the following:
- Demonstrated results in developing and implementing strategic plans involving legislative and policy matters; familiarity with technology and related public policy issues; ability to engage effectively in a variety of public settings; experience managing contracted resources; ability to work as a team player; excellent oral and written communication skills; and a proven track record as an effective advocate and relationship builder.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2022-01-11