State & Local Government Affairs Representative
Williams is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, national origin, age, marital status, disability, veteran status, genetic information or any other basis protected under applicable discrimination law.
Do something that means something at Williams. This isn’t just a job – it’s an opportunity to explore and discover your passion with coworkers who become friends and mentors who push you to be your best self in and out of the office.
At Williams, we make energy happen. And you can too, so bring your energy to ours.
As State & Local Government Affairs Representative Staff, you will join a highly impactful government affairs and public outreach team as you lead state and local government affairs efforts within your area of responsibility. This position will effectively collaborate across all functions and the business to assess, analyze and act upon key issues.
You will also partner with internal stakeholders to develop and implement a comprehensive state and local issue management process that nurtures relationships across government. The ability to establish an excellent rapport with individuals on all levels, specifically senior leaders and officials, is key to the success in this role.
Your work will challenge you, and with our Core Values & Beliefs to guide you, you’ll quickly learn and grow with us.
- Establishes and cultivates key executive relationships with state and local government leaders, policymakers, and regulatory agencies, meeting with them on a regular basis to effectively represent the company position on issues, influence relevant policies and regulations and develop and enhance the reputation of the company
- Engages state and local officials, peers, and other key influencers to educate them about our industry and our business while assessing and carrying-out strategic partnerships for the company
- Provides strategic updates to management on legislative and regulatory developments, assists in developing company positions, and outlines mitigation or management responses
- Supports senior leaders on stakeholder visits
- Partners with local government, trade, civic and business organizations to advance and sustain efforts in new communities to align the social mission of the company and enhance community outreach initiatives
- Represents the company on various committees, trade associations, and industry groups
- Strategically coordinates and collaborates with colleagues across the federal, state, local, and public outreach team to achieve meaningful, measurable business impacts
- Manages multiple projects/assignments simultaneously
- Leads/influences cross-functional teams without formal leadership authority
- Other duties as assigned
Education/Years of Experience:
Required: Bachelor’s Degree and a minimum of five (5) years’ direct experience in government affairs, stakeholder relations or related field
Preferred: Master’s Degree or Juris Doctorate; prior government affairs experience in a corporate environment; a minimum of seven (7) years’ direct experience in government affairs, stakeholder relations or related field
- Extensive experience as staff in a State House, Governor’s office, or federal congressional office and Managing Multiple States
- Excellent written and oral communication and presentation skills
- Highly developed organizational, time management and planning skills
- Experience using or understanding corporate communications tools and implementation with internal and external audiences
- Thorough understanding of the legislative process
- Demonstrated experience with grassroots and grasstops coordination and campaigns
Action oriented (3 – Meets expectations), Collaborates (3 – Meets expectations), Communicates effectively (3 – Meets expectations), Customer focus (3 – Meets expectations), Drives results (3 – Meets expectations), Ensures accountability (3 – Meets expectations), Instills trust (3 – Meets expectations)
- Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-04-15